“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #17 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Having lived a long time in Tacoma, when I booked this hotel, my expectations were pretty low but I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. We need a place to stay for a funeral and didn't want to drive back to Seattle between events on Friday and Saturday. I also didn't want to pay a ton of money for a short stay that would be just a nights sleep.

Pros - Great rate. Room was updated with decor to include flat screen, free internet, nice desk area, microwave and mini fridge, new carpet. We liked the San Francisco Soap company items in the bathroom and shower area. The water was hot and we had the iron, ironing board, and a hair dryer. There is a fitness center and a pool/hot tub though we didn't have time to visit them but good to know we could especially if we had brought children. Location to restaurants is also very good. We will head down to have breakfast before we leave. All these amenities for the price I paid was pretty amazing. My other family stayed at a hotel near by that is of equal/slightly less quality and paid double. The young lady who checked me in was nice and efficient and gladly answered all my questions. Location to JBLM is great. Also, not far from things to see and do in Tacoma (Lemay car museum, concerts at Tacoma Dome, Glass Museum and hot shop)

Cons - The blankets were a little thin and it was a cold night. My wife is not a big fan of hotels with doors to the outside. There were a few minor maintenance issues such as the towel rack (room 210) needs a couple of screws and the door sweep needs repair. There was a bit of a gap under the door that was letting cold air flow into the room. Blocked it with a towel which helped the room get warm. The heater seemed to struggle to get warm so I had to take the blankets off the second bed to help keep us warm. It eventually warmed up which was nice. The proximity to JBLM is also a problem in that the hotel seems to be right under the flight path which can be pretty loud.

If you are from the area and have avoided the Howard Johnson, I would suggest you reconsider.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Yameekia S, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Tacoma Near McChord AFB, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to respond regarding your recent stay at Howard Johnson, Tacoma. My condolences to you and your family on your recent lost. Thank you for allowing us to provide you with a place to stay while you were in town. All reviews good and bad allow my staff and I an opportunity to grow. We will look upon your review and take the pros and cons in to account. Please consider us again for a future stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Yakima, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed Saturday and Sunday nights. The staff was wonderful in helping us, especially with finding a church including service times and mapping our way out and back. The internet was very fast and worked well on both our i-phone and lap-top. The room was dimly lit but otherwise was clean and cozy. I think the people writing negative feedback must have been staying elsewhere or they were expecting five star quality for a very small price.

Room Tip: Rooms with only one bed or with one bed and a hid-abed are quite roomy. Upstairs rooms have a little...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
I’m happy to hear your stay was enjoyable with us and you enjoyed the very fast internet. I will definitely pass along the comments to my staff in regards to your recent stay. If your travels bring you back to Tacoma we look forward to accommodating you.
Portland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Front desk was rude. We booked a 2 room suite with a Jacuzzi tub. It was just 2 adjoining rooms where they pulled the bed out of one room and replaced it with a couch. "Jacuzzi" Tub wasn't near the bedroom. It was in the bathroom they chose to make the living room. Only one light worked in each room and they were on the opposite end of the room so you had to stumble around in the dark to find the one tiny button. Old semen stain on back of bathroom door. Black mold in the corner of the bathtub. The heaters were both turned off and the rooms were ice cold as if nobody had stayed there for awhile. I set them for 72 and they never did get there by the time we checked out. The sheets on the bed were thin and there was no comforter provided. The curtain in the "bedroom" was hanging off of the runner on top. There was an old abandoned broken little grill outside on the patio that had obviously been there for awhile. They ran out of most of the food for breakfast by 8am. They pulled the coffee from the lobby at 9am when they stopped serving breakfast.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Yameekia S, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Tacoma Near McChord AFB, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
We make every effort to provide guests with a quality stay. On behalf of my staff and the management I apologize that your trip was less than enjoyable. I look forward to improving on the issues you mentioned in your review. Thank you again for your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Tacoma hotels

Tacoma, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

Internet was non-existent, even though there were several access points from which to choose. The room was covered in dust on the credenzas (we stayed in a suite). Blankets had holes/stains and were very thin. Curtains were broken, towels were sandpaper, bathroom floors needed to be mopped and floor was buckled, no knob to turn the shower valve on - only screw sticking out of faucet, and I don't even know what was all over the tp rolls. i normally do not even write reviews, but I feel that others should be warned. Unless major changes are made with regard to maintenance and housecleaning, I would NOT stay in this establishment again. There are so many other hotels/inns on the strip that this is unacceptable.

We get out of the house looking to get a night away from the stresses of life and our stay only introduced more stresses. So much so that we were happy to return home again. On a positive note, the front desk staff were very nice and professional. I did not expect them to provide IT support for the lack of internet connectivity. We requested a fridge/microwave and that was provided for us. All I have to say is buyer beware, especially if you are out of towners and don't know the area.

Room Tip: Judging on the condition of our room, I assume many of the rooms are in the same state since this is...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Yameekia S, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn & Suites Tacoma Near McChord AFB, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to complete a trip advisor survey. Your feedback is important to our continued growth. I apologize for your dissatisfaction and the condition of the room at our property. We do pride ourselves on every guest having an enjoyable stay, from a clean comfortable room to a wonderful breakfast. I’m happy to know our front desk staff provided a great check in experience and great service. I would love for you to make contact with me directly at the property at your convenience.