“Better than expected”

Best Western Plus Tacoma Dome Hotel
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Tacoma
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Years ago, when I lived in the area, this hotel was a Ramada. My parents visited and stayed there and it was a slum. Completely disgusting. Nice to see that Best Western has done a great job turning this property around. The breakfast was perfect (serve yourself, continental-style with a waffle maker) for our family. The lobby was inviting. They even have a game room for kids in the basement, however it looked underused and not all that appealing. Unfortunately there's no pool at the property so that's a drawback. It is adjacent to the Tacoma Dome and very close to the Amtrak station. Also about a block from the transit center where you can catch a free ride to downtown (only about 5 min away) or transportation to Seattle.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 3, 2010

We wound up staying here because nearly all other Tacoma hotels (Murano, Marriott, etc) were booked up due to conventions. We stayed at the Emerald Queen the night before but the smoke really bothered my husband. The place was o.k. at best but the bed was not very comfortable.

If you can possibly afford it, I would splurge a little and stay at the Murano. That place is fantastic. Please note, my husband didn't think it was as bad as I did, so opinions may certainly vary.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank slowdiva
Reviewed July 28, 2010

We were able to use our coupon from the travel book ($89.00 plus tax). 3 diamonds by AAA rating and easy to find in the city. Had two very comfortable queen beds, nice furnishings, internet access, fridge, microwave, and a restaurant in house. Received a breakfast coupon for the free buffet which included waffles, sausage, eggs, homefries and the typical juices, bagels, fruit etc.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Stocked with amenities- has everything one needs and I'd probably stay again. Toilet and light switch in bathroom sit really low and they have a metal doorstop next to the tub that someone without their glasses on stepping out of the shower could step on and get hurt. Parking was odd. They told me take a right and go to basement. So I did and there weren't many spots and they were all full so I had to go back out and in to the lobby to ask "now what" (which would have been nice had they told me in the 1st place and saved me the trip) that there is an additional separate parking garage further behind the hotel out of the lot. I don't think these offer enough spots if the hotel is full, but I had a spot close to secure elevator....)

I reluctantly avoided the included breakfast because they make you go in to try and find a place to sit down (crowded) and eat there (while I prefer to take my food to my room) so I went hungry. :( (That might preclude me from staying there again.) You have to go through the restaurant to get to business center. Room service/food was good once I got through on the phone. The rooms in the section I was assigned to have a nice view, the windows open for fresh air and the lighting was excellent. As others noted, the area is a little "shady" but very convenient if going to Tacoma Dome.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2010

This hotel was relatively inexpensive - some $89 or so without tax.
Quiet room if you kept the window shut. (Really, it's okay; I sleep lightly and the outdoor noise did not disturb me.) Close to the free trolley to town. Easy parking, and hotel allowed us to park free for a few hours after we checked out. Breakfast line was slow. Food and plastic utensils were slow to be replenished. Biscuits & gravy (like paste; not flavorful); scrambled eggs & links; standard muffins, pastries, cold cereals and juice. Decaf coffee & 2% milk not replenished. Why do they charge $70 on your credit card just in case you have additional charges? I've never experienced that in other hotels/motels.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2010

I picked this because I was in town without a car. It is just two blocks from the train station (45 mins. to Seattle). On the other side of the train station is the free light rail which runs up into town past all the museums. At the same location is the bus stop for airport bus. Nice hotel, very clean and well maintained. Beautiful large room with view over the city. Very nice free hot breakfast buffet. Also two free internet computers available off the breakfast area. Good security - elevators can only be accessed by hotel guests. If you have an event at the Dome it is literally across the parking lot. Very happy.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed April 11, 2010

The room was good for what we needed for the night. We ate dinner at their buffet and the food was OK. Some of it looked like it had been sitting for hours and was brown and wilted. Breakfast was really good though.
Staff...most were friendly, however some would not give you the time of day unless you were a female and by yourself.
Parking.....we booked a room at this hotel because of its proximity to the Tacoma Dome to attend a concert. We didn't want to have to drive home late at night, or pay an arm and a leg for parking. The BW site for this location states that there is complimentary covered parking to all hotel guests, and when we got there, the attendants said the lot was full. My husband told the attendants what their site stated and they told us again, the lot was full, and we'd have to park on the street or one of the for fee lots. Yet, there were spaces open that we could see from the entrance. So, my husband again stated that our stay is supposed to come with complimentary parking in the covered lot and after chatting for a few minutes amongst themselves, they finally removed the chain and let us through. Now, we're not sure if they were trying to make some money on the side or what, but it seemed a little shady to us.
I'm not sure if we would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple