“Better than we expected”

Best Western Plus Tacoma Dome Hotel
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Vancouver
“Better than we expected”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

This is an older Best Western, located immediately adjacent to the Tacoma Dome in Tacoma. An older part of town, we found the hotel clean, the staff friendly and very accommodating. Not a lot of parking (which is indoor) The AC didn't cool off the room very well, but the windows opened and allowed fresh air. We found the hotel was good value.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ken078
FWBW, General Manager at Best Western Plus Tacoma Dome Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Thank you so very much for your kind words about our property, We are trying our best to improve our service on the basis of guest feedback. Please note best rate and room choices are always available if you book directly from our front desk. We will always be lower than any internet rate, just ask for MRrate. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We saw the Van Halen / Kool & The Gang show there on May 5th, and stayed one night at the hotel due to it's proximity.

In all, the check-in was the only real drag. They didn't have the room ready when we showed up a few minutes before the check-in, 3pm. It took until shortly after 3pm that they finally had the room available.

Other than that, great location for shows. Literally, walk out of the hotel and through the parking lot to the Dome. Opposite from the dome, the other direction down the hill led to where the Paya Thai Fish and Chips place is, as well as a whole indoor food court in a restored warehouse style building, plus the conveniently located train station/bus station. We took the bus super easy from the airport down and it lets you off right around the corner and down a short hill from the hotel.

Leaving was the same convenience. Buffet breakfast was a super cool thing the next morning. Basic, but of value, no doubt, and all fresh, reasonable American style hot and cold breakfast food (eggs, bacon, waffles, etc.)

Room Tip: Service is marked poor only for the unreasonable wait upon arrival; everything else was very good ab...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank travels808
FWBW, General Manager at Best Western Plus Tacoma Dome Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words about our property. We try to improve our services by listening to guest feedback and reaaly appriciate any advise. Please note for best rate and room choice call the hotel fron desk. We hope to see you again. Thank you.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 2, 2012

This was my third time in three years at this hotel and definitely my last. The only view I have ever been able to get is of the Tacoma Dome parking lot. Even though I book reservations far in advance the rooms with a view of the harbor are, according to the front desk, completely booked. Although it is not located in the best of neighborhoods they have an underground parking facility which used to be protected by a security gate. Unfortunately, the gate no longer functions so it stays open all night. There are two parking levels but they refused to open level B; we returned that night to find level A full and had to park in an area that is completely unsecure and unsafe. The TV did not work. The sink produced only hot water so we went out to get ice and found ice machines out of order on our floor and two others. Towels were so threadbare I felt like leaving them some of mine out of sympathy. The tiny toilet low to the floor reminded me of using a ditch for a latrine. Hair from the previous tenant greeted us on the floor of the shower. Breakfast was okay but doesn't make up for the negatives. Thumbs down on this place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank GrampaTD
FWBW, General Manager at Best Western Plus Tacoma Dome Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
I am so sorry that you did not feel that your stay was not satisfactory. Please note rooms are first come first serve as far as which side of the building one gets to stay. I checked the ice machines there seem to be no issues with them. Please feel free to get my attension while you are at my property in the future so may fix issues you had while you are visiting.
We do appriciate your repeat business and hope you come back. Also note BEST RATE and ROOM CHOICE is available when you buy a room directly from the hotel. Thank you and hope you have a safe trip.
Hillsboro, Oregon
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We picked this place 'blind' while on the road. We walked in and got a room for a very good rate. I was expecting a minimalistic room but was pleasantly surprised by a very nice room. The room had nice wooden furniture and rich bedding. The room was immaculately clean down to the bathroom tiles.

The location was perfect as it was just off the freeway, right next to the Tacoma Dome (which we didn't visit), 15 minutes from the zoo (which we did visit) and within walking distance of shops and restaurants.

We also got a free breakfast buffet. What a great variety! There was a a hot food bar, cereal bar, fresh pastries, juice, waffle machines and a delightful fruit salad. It wasn't gourmet food but it was great as far as free breakfasts go!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank KimJ_in_Oregon
FWBW, General Manager at Best Western Plus Tacoma Dome Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words about our property. We appriciate your feedback and look forward to see you again. Thank you
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Best Western Tacoma Hotel last night while going to the Jeff Dunham show at the Tacoma Dome. The proximity to the Tacoma Dome was fabulous. While others were fighting their way out of the parking lot, we were already comfortably settled in our room. We went to the bar to have a drink upon our return to the hotel and they were poorly equipped for the large influx of people; not enough tables, not enough wait staff. Several people came into the bar then turned around and left.

Having said that, the room was nice enough but the restaurant was disappointing. We went down for dinner and were met with "we have a very limited menu." We had the option of ordering from a menu that consisted of little more than bar appetizers or the buffet of pastas, veggies, and a roll. Not exactly a very comprehesive menu of choices. There was a notice on their web site stating that the restaurant isn't open for lunch "until further notice." Given how mundane dinner was, we decided not to make the effort to take advantage of the free breakfast voucher that came with the room, instead eating somewhere else.

I realize that their location so close to the Tacoma Dome is a big advantage, but the hotel really needs to up its game if we're going to go back again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank IrishEyes0620
FWBW, Owner at Best Western Plus Tacoma Dome Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
thank you for your feedback about hotel, please contact the hotel directly for best rate and room choice. Thank you
Rochester, New York
Reviewed March 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights in May 2011 as part of a wedding party. Hotel was great. Our room was clean and comfortable. The lounge was fantastic and the bartender was awesome to us, which included a rowdy group of middle aged family members. The area was great for walking during the day, with a few small shops in the area if interested. There was many homeless people around but they never came up to us or bothered us. A completely satisfying stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank barbh32
Thank you very much for your kind feedback about our hotel. We strive to improve our services from your feedback.
Please call the hotel directly for best rate and room choices. THANK YOU.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 28, 2012

I checked out of my room this morning (room 217) @ 8.30am and called the hotel at 13h identifying that I had left my leather jacket in the room. I have made 5 calls to the front desk requesting the jacket pointing out the jacket is in the room. If was then put through to house keeping who collected the call and then dropped it. I then called several other times and the call rang through to voicemail.

After this I spoke with front desk asking that someone take responsibility to look in the room and which they claim they have done and the jacket is not hanging in the Wardrobe.

I am 100% sure the jacket was hanging in the room.

One of two things has happened : The staff have not bothered going to the room to look for it or the housekeeping staff have not returned the jacket to front desk (or returned my call).

The front desk would NOT give me the manager name or number, where not helpfull and just suggested I call 1800WESTERN.

I am hugely disapointed in (i) the notion of potential theft and dishonesty in your staff (ii) the lack of interest or help from your fron desk and housekeeping staff.

The traking number for this incident is 1202283944 and I am waiting for the duty manager to contact me and resolve this issue.

I keep readers advised of the outcome of this situation

n.b. I do realise that leaving this jacket behind is my fault and responsibility however is the lack of concern of the staff and prompt response that could have solved this issue positively.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cejiri
FWBW, General Manager at Best Western Plus Tacoma Dome Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2012
Please note the jacket is here at the hotel, guest did not want it mailed and informed us to hold for two weeks as she is coming back in the area.