“not too friendly”

Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Portland, Oregon
“not too friendly”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We paid a higher rate thinking we were going to get something nicer than an economy motel but it really wasn't.. The front desk clerks did not smile and didn't seem too happy. The hallways look like a prison. Both days we stayed, we went down to breakfast and they had run out of coffee. The breakfast gets packed up at 9:30 am. I was trying to entertain my 4 yr old so I put 2 quarters in the pinball machine and it didn't work. The front desk said they were privately owned so they couldn't do anything about it. I ask them to at least put an "out of order" sign on it and they looked at me like I was bothering them. The workout room is tiny and does not provide towels or cups for water. There is a sink but no water cooler. The exercise equipment is crap. The place must have a lot of unwelcome guests because a room key is needed for elevators and parking. There are signs in the room that remind people that it's against the law to steal stuff. I wouldn't pay more than the rate of a Motel 6 to stay in this place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank cynandie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Good value for the price. All amenities; competent staff. NO bugs of any kind. Only one complaint: caulking around tub moldy; needs recaulking.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank FoodWoman
Kettle Falls, Washington
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Rip Off. Especially the fast speed internet - if you're business. BW's internet provider (SpeedLink) will flag your connection and shut it down if you exceed 500kbs/15sec. Don't even think about using P2P.
Clean. Breakfast okay. Average price - seriously try LQ or if vacationing try Silver Cloud on Ruston Way - very nice. I'll be staying there from now on.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Idaho
Reviewed August 3, 2011

First and foremost, this hotel does not have a pool, so if you are looking for a pool for kids, don’t stay here. When you first walk in to the hotel, you notice the nice beautiful lobby with the fire going. Check-in was a breeze. You are required to use your room key to access the elevator to go up. I’ve never been in a hotel that has that, but I was really glad for that. I felt safer. When you walk down the hallway to your room, there is a wonderful smell. They must have a smell piped through the vents because it was really nice. Our room was a queen with a sofa bed. Small, but worked perfect for us. The bed and the sofa bed were really comfortable. There were plenty of pillows and a comforter for the bed in a drawer if you needed it. They have free wi-fi, however it was unsecure. I don’t like that, but it’s better than nothing at all. The bathroom was small, but expected for a one queen bedroom. There was no hair dryer in our room. There was a place on the wall for it to hang, but there wasn’t one there. I went down to the desk and asked for one. Waited for a while in the room and one didn’t come. Called down to the desk and asked again. It was quite a while before I got it. By then my hair was dry. I was a little irritated that it took so long. The shower head was really high. It would be perfect for a tall person. The pressure was good and the temperature was always great. The tv had most the basic cable channels. There is also a refrigerator, a microwave and an ironing board w/ iron. They also had two stands to set suitcases on. I loved that, however didn’t expect it because the room only had one queen bed in it. I didn’t really hear anyone next to us or above us. We were the last room down the hall, so we didn’t have anyone on the other side of us, just on one side. There is a restaurant at the hotel. We ate there for dinner one night. It was a complete fiasco. I’m not quite sure what the story was, but there was only one girl waitressing, but then she also had to take food to the rooms, so then another guy helped out. She would come to the table and ask something and then the guy would come to the table and ask the same thing. I wanted breakfast for dinner and it was listed on the menu with the dinner items, but when she came to take our order, she said that they didn’t serve breakfast. I asked her why it was on the menu then and she couldn’t give me an answer. The wine that I wanted to drink, they were out of. My niece really liked her chicken fettuccine. I tried it and it was really good, however pretty garlicy. I love garlic, but probably not the best for a child. The service was extremely slow. It took us 2 hours to eat a 40 minute meal. Breakfast was good – they have pancakes, potatoes, gravy, scrambled eggs, cereal, juice, milk, donuts, muffins. There is a huge bottle neck where you fix the pancakes. They need to fix that. It was very frustrating. There are also not enough tables for everyone to eat at. We found one each day, but usually had to clean the tables ourselves. The hotel is very close to the Sound Transit – commuter train that goes to Seattle. We took the Sounder from Seattle to Tacoma one day and it was wonderful to just walk a block to our hotel. You don’t hear anything from the hotel. If you want to take it from Tacoma to Seattle and back it was about an hour ride and very nice. Very smooth and nice to just sit back and relax. It makes about 6 stops along the way. It only cost $4.75 for an adult. You are right next to the Tacoma Dome. The elevators that are used in the hotel are glass and look over the Tacoma Dome. It is a neat view. For the price I paid for the room, I would stay here again unless I had kids who would want to swim. Then I would choose someplace else. You are close to the freeway and close to downtown Tacoma.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Idaho_Travel_Bug
FWBW, Manager at Best Western Plus Tacoma Dome Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Thank you very much for your honest feed back about our hotel. We appriciate our guests and love to hear how we can improve even more.
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed August 3, 2011

I travel for work every week and I have never ran across bedbugs until last night. This place has BED BUGS beware. I have stayed here before and never had a problem until this time. This is a very nice hotel except for this problem. I will stay elsewhere in the future. They refunded my money and apologized but of course it did not help erase the problem.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank christopher95814
Please note we have report from Orkin, a reputed pest control company that those were not Bed Bugs. They informed bugs come out in summer and occationally is found in the room. We refunded the gentleman as a cortesy to him when he came down in the morning. We here at Tacoma Dome Hotel do our best to keep our guest satisfied. Thanks
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I'd give it more stars, except for the cleaning solution fumes and the fact that the front office staff was not well-informed about the train/Sounder/bus line, etc. But the location was perfect and we didn't have to drive into Seattle.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Majormarj
Anthem, Arizona
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Reserved a 2 queen bed room 3 months prior. Checked in, got to our room and 2 double beds! Called the front desk manager. She said that they were out of queen rooms and basically I should be happy to get 2 beds! I said that they should have called or emailed me in advance.

I called Best Western customer service and they called the desk. I quickly got a phone call from the front desk saying they CALLED a customer and the customer didn't need 2 larger beds!! So, we moved into a 2 queen room. Could of done without the hassle. She was giving me a $9.00 room reduction because the rates went down. I had to argue with the front desk the next morning to get the discount.

Dirty dishes left out in hallway all night and next morning on our floor. Some of the front desk women were rude.

Breakfast was good. Light rail was nearby and free. Doesn't go far, but gets you to the glass museum.

Stay someplace else and avoid hassles.
Customer is always wrong at this motel!

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family