“Simply Wonderful”

Asado Cucina Argentina
Reserve with OpenTable
Asado Cucina Argentina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 762 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: Argentinean, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Pine
Description: Sizzle and smoke define Asado Cucina Argentina, the South Sound's only Argentine-themed steakhouse and a staple restaurant of the trendy Sixth Avenue dining district. Heady smoke wafts from the display kitchen where chefs sear beef over a mesquite grill. Low lighting is moody by night, bright and beautiful by day because of the expansive garage doors that roll up in the summertime, spilling diners onto Sixth Avenue. A mural evokes pastoral Argentina. Metalwork and heavy doses of deep-hued wood create a rustic urban palette. Social by design, with a large chef's table straddling the display kitchen. Bench booth seating connects diners to neighbors, but without being overly intrusive. The word "asado" means a gathering of friends for a grill party - the Argentine equivalent of an American patio barbecue - and that theme translates into a convivial gathering spot for friends and family. A steakhouse with a flavor-forward menu with preparations licked with smoke and sophistication.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Let me start by recommending reservations! This place gets packed and since this was our first time to dine there, we did not know this. My husband and I decided on the spur of the moment to go out to dinner since our 13 year old twins were otherwise occupied for the evening. We had both heard very favorable things about Asado from multiple sources so off we went. It is located in a rather hip part of Tacoma and parking is at a premium. They offer valet parking for $5 and I would recommend taking advantage of this unless you know the area well. We were greeted very warmly and ended up sitting in the bar (they serve the full menu as well) for our meal since there would not be a table available in the dining room until at least 7:45pm. Initially I was a bit off put by having to take immediate bar seating as there are only four tables in the bar (best suited for two persons only) and they were all full. Glad I did not let this situation deter me/us from staying as I/we would have missed out on one of the single best meals ever. The bartender that ended up serving us was simply wonderful and is very skilled in her mixology. We had calamari for an appetizer and it was done beautifully and served with two great house made aiolis (one lime/jalapeno and one yellow pepper... both delish!). We were then served warm, crusty bread with house special compound butter made with their chimichuri spices, a bit of light olive oil and aged balsamic vinegar. To say these were great, is not doing them enough justice but for now it is the word I have. My husband ordered pork Costillas served with the houses take on a potato salad and I ordered an entree salad accompanied by beef and shrimp skewers. Both dishes were perfectly done! Cap the evening with warm Spanish Coffees and smiles. Great place to take out-of-town friends or to go for a nice dinner out with your s.o. or friends. We will definitely be returning but will make reservations so that we can experience a dinner in the dining room this time.

There are newer reviews for Asado Cucina Argentina

Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife, son, and I had dinner here for our anniversary early this month. The restaurant was clean and inviting; it was in a nice location in Tacoma with ample parking right beside it. The staff were friendly, and the service was excellent. We all had steak which were good, but not that memorable (I guess I was waiting for Argentinian steak to blow me away based on the reviews here), thus the 4 stars. Overall it was a pleasant experience.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

For a fine dining experience in Tacoma, this is your place! Don't let the logo fool you--they have more than beef! We tried pork dishes, and vegetarian. Everything had a lot of interesting flavors and was both well presented and satisfying. An absolutely delicious endeavor!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I came here last with a group of seven, and almost all of us ordered the flat-iron steak with polenta--which is saying something. So, I guess it goes without saying, "[We] highly recommend it." Overall, the food here is delicious, and the service is great! Last time we went, my five year old daughter came with us. The waiter kindly gave her a coloring book to draw in, but they don't have many menu options that appealed to her, ahem, discriminating tastes. We came here with family to celebrate her uncle's birthday, so leaving her with a sitter was not an option. But next time, we'll save Asado's for date nights. Otherwise, the place is fabulous!

Reviewed January 2, 2013

We have dined here four times. The first time was New Years Eve a few years back. I had an appetizer that they no longer offer consisting of lobster, hearts of palm, and a few other things. It was one of the best dishes I have eaten. The flat iron steak was good. The atmosphere (a bit dark) and the service were great. We have been back three time in the past six months and have decided that we are, alas, no longer fans.

Cons:
The lighting is not lighting. I bring my own flashlight so that I can read the menu.
Appetizers are not that good. The cheese dip is runny and salty. Only three prawns in the serrano wrapped prawn appetizer. The ceviche has zero flavor (not even salty).
I love salt. That said, the food is way too salty. The lentils were inedible because of the salt. Even the hamburger was waaayyy tooooo salty. The chef needs to check his taster. Seasoning is good, but over use of salt is not so good.
They carry two chardonnays, and neither are oaked. Who's ego won't let in an oaked chardonnay? I know they don't oak in Argentina, but is/does every wine offered need to be from Argentina?
They have a curtain by the front door to block the chill when the entrance door is opened. No such curtain at the bar entrance causing it to be quite cold whenever the door opens on a brisk night.

Pros:
The service is always good.

I rate on three points: Atmosphere, service, and food price for value (quality, portion, price). The price of the food does not reflect the quality or portion size. I give the food a 5 of 10. The atmosphere gets a 6 of 10, and the service gets a 10 of 10.

Been to Asado Cucina Argentina? Share your experiences!