“"Like eating at home"”

Cuisines: Mexican
Lynnwood, Washington
“"Like eating at home"”
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I have dined here with my in-laws many times. The in-laws eat here very frequently and MIL is the one who describes it as "at home". I have to agree. The dishes that I have ordered have been consistently hot, fresh and tasty.

I'm one of those persons who orders from a self-selected list of familiar, consistent and "safe" dishes. My favorite dishes include tamales, chile rellenos and street tacos. This restaurant hits the mark on two of those dishes. The tamales are actually a bit more "meaty" than I expect (but very,very good) and the rellenos are so much better than I manage to make at home. I'm not impressed with the street tacos. Taco trucks manage to do better. But, I'm one to sample tastes from others at my table and I've always been impressed with what others have ordered. I don't know why I'm not brave enough to order something different for myself!

I'm a midwesterner who sort of expects queso dip to be on the appetizer menu and I've realised that the PNW isn't a place to expect that particular starter to be offered. But, this place has it :) And, it is delish. Another delicious dip is their verde salsa that you can request with your complimentary chips and salsa. That green salsa tastes garden fresh and I'm trying to recreate the taste at home without luck. Sigh.

The servers are so sweet and polite. I like this place and will happily accompany my family when they go.

• Visited February 2014

Tacoma, Washington, United States
“Nana”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Our family met for dinner, service was fast, staff was friendly. Taco salad was great Prices good and food was good. We would defiantly return again.

• Visited January 2014
Salt Lake City, Utah
“My waiter forgot me”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I came in and asked to start with soup and hot tea. I order the Chicken Tortilla, which was ok, a little on the thick side, but it had good pieces of meat and avocado, which was a plus. The flavor was decent as well, I have certainly had much worse in this area, and like to think of myself as 'experienced' in chicken tortilla soup, since it is one of my favorites. At initial sitting I was served with tortilla chips and salsa, which was very flavorful, and fresh. The service, however was very poor, since it seemed like after taking the order for soup he forgot to return for my full order. The soup was served by another waiter, while the first was busy catering to a family of two adults and two children. By the time he returned my soup had been finished, and I had grown tired of waiting for someone to take my order, so I just asked for the check. It would have been nice to taste some of their cuisine, since the menu had plenty of variety, and the prices were decent, but I didn't get a chance. It seems like more and more I travel the more I find the host/hostess and yes, even the wait staff tend to shy away from dealing with the single patron for some reason, this one was the worst of them so far though.

• Visited November 2013
Lakewood, Washington, USA
“Hot and Quick”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in today for a fast girls' lunch. Service was fast and friendly. Food arrived piping hot. My shrimp dish was ample and filling. Good flour tortillas on the side. Waitress attentive with drink refills. Good but not great food. I'd give it a go again.

1 Thank Surfpinky
Seattle
“Decent Food, Nice Service ...”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

El Toro is your standard Americanized Mexican restaurant. The food is prepared to meet most western palate ... heavy on the sauces and "cheddar" cheese. After having said all that, I do admit the food is good and the staff is very friendly.

• Visited June 2013