“Excellent in every way!”

Galanga Thai Cuisine
Ranked #61 of 759 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Fountain Valley, California
“Excellent in every way!”
Reviewed June 27, 2008

My husband and I have eaten at more Thai restaurants than we can count, and Galanga Thai Cuisine is now VERY near the top of our list! We ate there today for the first time, and everything about our experience was wonderful! First of all, we loved the ambiance. The restaurant is very simply decorated, the walls are painted in soothing colors, and the table are far enough apart to give a feeling of spaciousness. It is a quiet restaurant (good acoustics and no loud music blaring). The restrooms are IMMACULATE, which is always important to us, because we believe that a clean restroom most likely means a clean kitchen. The food was DELICIOUS! We had the Fresh Salad Rolls as an appetizer, and for a main dish we had one of their specials: It was something with green beans, chicken, and sweet Thai basil in it. We both loved everything we ordered! They also have brown rice which is rare in Thai restaurants from what we have experienced. Our server was very friendly and attentive. Our son joined us when we were just about finished with our meal, and our server came over immediately to give him a menu. Then she returned promptly to take his order. This is a very fine Thai restaurant! I live in Southern California, and I plan to make it a point to eat at Galanga each time I visit Tacoma!

1 Thank nancywppw

Auburn
“Don't go there for curry1”
Reviewed June 5, 2007

I just started working in Tacoma and set out to find a good Thai restaurant to have lunch. Coming from Seattle, finding good Thai is easy and so I assumed the same here in Tacoma.

I love curry, red curry is fav, although green and penang are yummy too. I decided to try the red curry. Usually I order 2 stars, but decided to play it safe and ordered 1 star because curry is hot on its own. The curry arrived in a separate bowl, rice on the plate. The curry had shreaded bamboo, chicken, and red/green peppers and coconut milk. Maybe the chef intended to add spices, but frankly it was just a bowl of steamed milk, with a hint of salt, this was a no taste, no star milk dish. Yuck!

I sent it back and was informed that if they added more curry it would be hotter. No problem - when it came back, there was very little improvement. In fact, it was the most tasteless curry I have ever eaten!

I complained, but did not have time to send it back again. If their other food is anywhere as bland as the curry, I wouldn't waste my time returning.

Skip this restaurant and go somewhere else!

Chicago
“decent place for downtown lunch”
Reviewed March 28, 2006

Dining choices in downtown Tacoma are extrenely limited, and most business occurs at lunchtime as downtown workers in the banks and office buildings leave the city for their homes in the evening and the streets become a ghost town. This restaurant is located on the only block downtown with any reasonable dining choices. I've eaten there many times and the food and service are acceptable. The spices are toned down for the typical office crowd that would not come back if they tasted truly hot Thai food. I order 4 stars of hotness on their 1-4 scale and can barely taste the spices. Lunch is not particularly cheap but is reasonable for what you get. Service is generally good - quick enough for a typical lunch time break for office workers. I wouldn't travel far to go to this restaurant, but if you work in downtown Tacoma by all means try it for lunch.

1 Thank willbegone
A TripAdvisor Member
“Wonderful food, ambience and service”
Reviewed February 13, 2005

This gem of a Thai restaurant is located in downtown Tacoma on Broadway Street. Owned by Ted and Yim Kenney, Yim and her sister, Tuk are from Thailand and produce wonderful authentic Thai dishes practically made to order.

Ted, is a gracious host with a great sense of humor and is able to make every customer feel special.

The service is good and the ambience pleasantly relaxing.

We have taken many friends and out of town visitors to this delightful restaurant and have never had a negative experience.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Galanga Thai Cuisine? Share your experiences!