“Very good, would go back”

Courtyard Tacoma Downtown
Ranked #4 of 27 Hotels in Tacoma
Reviewed June 30, 2006

For a Courtyard by Marriott, this is MUCH ABOVE AVERAGE. Very nice rooms, clean, modern, etc. Great price too! If you stay on the side facing east, you hear some of the freeway noise in the a.m., but it's not awful. You get a FABULOUS view of mt. ranier on that side, so I'd say the tradeoff is well worth it. WOW.

The only complaint I have is that they charged me $10 a day for self parking (which is expected ... to be charged in a downtown location) but the problem is that they charged me $10 for each physical day I was parked (versus each 24-hour time period). So I arrived on Thursday night at 7 p.m. and left Saturday morning at 9 a.m. So I wasn't there even two 24 hour time periods. But they charged me three days of $10 parking. Given that the parking lot is mostly JUST for Courtyard, this seems kinda crazy. They don't charge you three days of hotel charges if you check in on Thursday and leave on Saturday!!??

So when checking out, I raised the issue and was stated the policy which I explained did not make sense, and the front desk person did remove one $10, but that's only b/c I asked. I think the place ought to revise their policy. If you stay there, you should ask about this, if enough folks do, they'll probably change it.

Other than that, GREAT place.

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank profwho88

A TripAdvisor Member
ft myers, florida
Reviewed June 27, 2006

I have stayed at 4 other hotels in the Tacoma area with-in the last 2 years, as I travel alot to Tacoma. This is the 3rd time I have stayed here and is by far the best place to stay. Great customer service. The rooms are clean with nice clean sheets. Breakfast is very good with other places to eat with-in walking distance. There is a free trolley/train service that will pick you up and take you to different places in Tacoma. You won't be disappointed with this place.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 20, 2006

I loved this hotel and location. The service and staff are excellent. Very friendly and down to earth...loved it. Rooms were very clean and homey. It was a wonderful weekend away...and also adding to the great the PBR contestants also stayed there...was an awesome weekend. I am looking forward to going back the the Courtyard.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank PBR-fan06
Reviewed January 28, 2006

Based on the reviews and never being disapointed at a Marriott, we decided to stay at the Courtyard-Downtown. We were glad we did. This is a straight forward clean, well appointed and well run Hotel.

PROS: Great Location, Friendly Staff, Easy Check in/out, Immaculate Condition, Small but usable pool and Jacuzzi, Small but usable work out area, Firdge and microwave provided.

CONS: The little cafe needs a manager on duty when open.

• Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank CANADIAN2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 27, 2006

This hotel blew me away. It's not your typical Courtyard. It's brand new, super modern and quite upscale. The fitness center is only average, but I loved my room and I loved the hotel. It's in walking distance of the museum. This hotel is great!

• Stayed: January 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 22, 2006

The Courtyard was amazing! What a surprise. I have always stayed at the Sheraton when in Tacoma and had made reservations at the Sheraton only to be turned away when I arrived. I was advised that they had overbooked and offered to put us up in the Courtyard. I was, at first, upset not knowing what we were getting ourselves into but from the moment we arrived at the Courtyard we were treated like royalty. The lady at the front desk greeted me by name and apologized for the Sheratons error and was so nice about everything. She even gave us free breakfsat the next morning for our inconvenience even though it wasnt their fault. The rooms were so nice! Very clean, nicely decorated. It looked like a brand new hotel. The beds and linen were comfortable and clean. The bathroom was one of the nicest I have seen at a hotel and VERY clean. There was a refridgerator and microwave as well. There wasnt a lot of hallway noise although we could hear traffic from the street below. Securty in the hotel was fantastic and the valet was extremely nice and quick! Even though we didnt swim, the pool looked clean and very inviting. We didnt eat in the restaurant because they stopped serving breakfast by the time we were up but the cafe looked cute and well staffed. The only downside is the parking, It is off site, and didnt appear to be patrolled or monitored. If we stay in Tacoma again, I will certainly be staying at the Courtyard. Sheraton's mistake of overbooking looks like to be Courtyards gain in a new customer.

• Stayed: January 2006
7  Thank olystacy
Reviewed December 24, 2005

My significant other and I stayed at this hotel for a few nights in December 2005.

The hotel staff were friendly and attentive. When we checked in we were immediately given an upgrade. The rooms are well designed so that the microwave and refrigerator are away from the beds, ensuring that the noise of the latter does not keep light sleepers like myself awake. The room was spacious yet cozy and quiet.

The hotel is in an excellent location for tourists. It is almost across the street from the Tacoma Art Museum, the federal courthouse (decked in glass sculpture) and the Washington State History Museum. A walk across a bridge of glistening glass will take you to the Museum of Glass, complete with a path along a waterway which will eventually be extended to continue for miles.

The hotel is across the street from the new Tacoma Convention Center, two excellent restaurants (Pacific Grill and Sea Grill) and University of Washington Tacoma. The university has rows of old warehouses that have been caringly renovated.

The Tacoma Visitor's Center is in the hotel.

Up the street in an old neighborhood pub, the SWISS, dating from 1913. It also has been faithfully renovated by its new owners. Glass sculpture glistens above the old oak bar, relfecting off tin ceilings.

The hotel is also next to a free trolley that runs to the theatre and antique districts which are also undergoing a restoration, complete with a new historical society exhibition center.

Museum, pub and restaurant workers are delighted to have tourists. The city is undergoing a rennaisance.
Warehouses and factories are being turned into art centers, restaurants and shops.

If anything, we could have stayed another week.

We found Tacoma far more intimate, upbeat and friendly than Seattle. For example, we sat in the federal courthouse lobby for an hour or so, reading books for visitors about glass sculpture. Later we went on a leisurely tour by a guide who loved his town and knew both its art and its history.

Although our hotel was excellent, Tacoma itself has not yet fully blossomed. When it does, it will be an even more extraordinary place to visit.

8  Thank elyette