“Great service, OK food”
Review of Lobster Shop South

Lobster Shop South
Reserve with OpenTable
Lobster Shop South is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 751 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
“Great service, OK food”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I have a new phrase in our vocabulary..."Tacoma good". The culinary offerings in this town are really not that great, with El Gaucho being the exception. Most of the other places are "Tacoma good". Wouldn't stand up to comparisons against good restaurants in Seattle, Minneapolis or San Fran. That is where Lobster Shop South fits in. Service was wonderful, but the food was just OK, especially for a place that fancies itself as upscale and expensive.

Visited February 2013

• Korean first
Kent, WA
“Waterfront view, great service, excellent food”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This restaurant is my wife's favorite for special occasions, like birthdays or anniversaries, so we've been to this restaurant a dozen times or more. The view is the best aspect of the restaurant, particularly at sunset, looking out over the water towards the south end of Vashon Island. The decor is nice, PNW style, high ceilings, large windows, dark wood; what you'd expect for a high-end restaurant. My wife loves clam chowder and says that this restaurant has the best clam chowder in the world. I love the Chilean Sea Bass when it is on the menu. Anything with prawns in it is excellent. My wife always finishes up dinner with the Creme Brulee. Service is on par with a high-end restaurant, attentive, helpful and friendly. Prices are what one would expect at a high-end restaurant, but you can save some $$ by going during twilight dinner. Parking is free. There are two smaller rooms on either end of the restaurant for small gatherings or business meetings. We've been to all of the restaurants on the Ruston Way waterfront and this one is our favorite.

• Visited December 2012
Puyallup, Washington
“Not What I Ordered”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I visited the Lobster Shop on Rushton Way Christmas evening. We had reservations and were sitted by a window. Perfect. Just what we wanted. I ordered half a roast chicken and was served two chicken breast filets. Not what I ordered. The waiter failed to tell me that the kitchen was out of the roast chicken and served me something else. I have no problem with the restaurant running out of a popular item but they have no latitude to substitute for my preference. If you do not have what is listed on the menu just tell me but do not change my order in any circumstance. That is my option.

• Visited December 2012
Gearhart, Oregon
“Not quite what it was”
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

At my suggestion my sisters and I and family members gathered at our late mother's favorite restaurant years after her passing. She loved the brunch and that was the meal we had. The obligatory bloody Mary seemed much spicier than in earlier years. The champagne was not great but priced ok. There was no fresh fruit on the buffet which became a matter of discussion as it seemed an important omission. The seafood and salads were good. The omelette station provided a good product but was slow. Other hot food was good. Perhaps we remember this as better than it really was. One thing that did impress me was the service. We had great waiters who even helped us split the check. The prices were reasonable. Santa greeted us as we arrived but I suppose we won't see him in again in the near future.

1 Thank jamesccasterline
Boiling Springs, Pennsylvania
“Fantastic evening. Awesome food with a flair”
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Food was amazing. Had salmon and jumbo prawns. Risotto was divine and even carrots and snap peas were prepared in an outstanding manner. Atmosphere was romantic and quiet. Great service.