“Sunday brunch”

Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I was craving for some egg benedict. I did some research online and found Lobster Shop. The brunch buffet is $25.95 which is worth the money. They serve crab legs, egg benedict to order, fried chicken and waffle, roast beef, oyster shots, and various seafood. The selection is quite wide ranged. As the establishment sits beside the water, it is perfect to take your date or family/friends.

The only complaint I have is that the waitress stated that the mimiosa was complimentary. To me, complimentary means FREE or on the house. When the bill came, it was $4 per.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

This was the first time I have eaten here. I ordered sauteed shrimp over couscous and asparagus. I have never had couscous before, but I loved it. The shrimp and asparagus were cooked just right. The clam chowder is to die for. The service was great. I would visit this place again.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Don't let the outer appearance fool you--it's lovely and comfortable inside. The steamed clams and the lobster bisque were a wonderful beginning. Great bread, too. My husband's salmon and my son's ribeye were absolutely perfect--the best we've had anywhere. I was not as happy with my green curry noodles with seafood (bland, with overcooked fish, shrimp, mussels and scallops). Nice assortment of beers, wine, and non-alcoholic beverages. Our service was average. The prices seemed quite reasonable, and we also got a coupon for booking through OpenTable.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Trying to give this waterfront restaurant a valid rating for its Sunday Brunch proved to be difficult. The setting, right on the waterfront in the Ruston area of sTacoma is front row center on the water's edge, and the sweeping view lookiing north at Puget Sound, Vashon Island, Brown's Point and the Olympics (weather permitting) is nothing short of spectacular.

Too bad the Sunday Brunch, while filling and attractively set up, it , didn't quite live up to the superb setting and good service. So my "Very Good" rating is really an average between Excellent, (5 stars) for the setting, view and service, and Average, (3 stars) for the food It was OK, but to begin with, (and despite the name of the restaurant,)don't expect any lobster to be included. They did offer smoked salmon, which was so salty neither of us could finish more than a couple of bites, the sides of fresh whole salmon was also salty,and the pulled pork was swimming in grease. Long crab legs were also provided -- not Dungeness crab, but probably either Tanner Crab or perhaps Alaskan King Crab. I admit we are crab snobs, and think Dungeness crab is the gold standard, so we passed. The chunks of orange chicken were tasty and nicely orange-y, and the clam chowder was quite good -- thick without having a flour taste, and the clams bathed in a sauce with curry was also good. They offered some of the usual breakfast items -- sthe mandatory scarmbled eggs, bacon and link sausages among them.

But several of the dishes were salty to very salty, some so much we couldn't eat them, and both my wife and I had a dehydrated feeling with dry mouth for hours afterward. There was a station with the usual ham and prime rib, and under the infra-red lamps, the prime rib always looks more rare than it really is. It was past medium edging up to medium well, but must admit it was still tender and tasty. A nice touch was an array of little glasses sitting in shaved ice, each with a chilled oyster or two inside, and cocktail sauce on top, with a small slice of lemon. Oysters were not very cold, but that could have just been because they had recently been brought out. We did not sample the omlets, but they did look as though they were offering a good assortment of fillings.
Our waitress said we could order Eggs Benedict, done in the standard manner with Canadian Bacon, and poached egg on an English Muffin and covered with hollandaise sauce,or with salmon under the poached egg. This was a nice touch, and we both ordered it. But sorry to say, the salmon was salty, the egg a little overcooked, (yolk was hard, not runny) and the hollandaise sauce was thin and runny, not thicker and creamy. A nice idea, but it could have been improved.

The dessert bar was limited to some cookies, a mousse and two or three very heavy and dense looking chocolate desserts. Some of the brunch items were quite good, some were OK or average, and some not so good. But at $25.00 a plate for the brunch, it seemed a little pricey for the quality of the food. Our brunch, and two Bloddy Mary;s, with tax and tip came to a healthy $79.52, and that's a pretty good chunk of change for a Sunday brunch.

Although we will certainly visit The Lobster Shop for a regular dinner as there were many good looking items on the menu, the service was good and the setting and view awesome,we will pass on visiting the Sunday "groaning board" again. There are some better brunches around the greater Tacoma area.

1  Thank ThorneBirdGT
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Drove there on a whim on a Sunday morning, hoping they would have a brunch - and boy were we in luck. They have by far one of the best Sunday Brunches we have had. Several areas of buffet items, both breakfast AND lunch, as well as desserts. We got there a little late (after 1 pm) but they were still bringing out fresh items. We will definitely go there again!

Been to Lobster Shop? Share your experiences!