“Close to perfection”

Mandolin Sushi
Ranked #76 of 774 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Steakhouse
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The Mandolin does so much right. The vegetable fried rice is the best I've ever had. My husband had the hot stone bowl with beef, which was excellent. They do something different with the meso soup, I think there is beef broth added - it was very rich. All of our food was very good.
What wasn't quite right: When you walk in the door, you are greeted with an effusive LOUD hello, which I am sure is meant to be warm and friendly. I find it annoying. The restaurant has two seating options. One around the iron grill to watch your chef prepare your food or the more standard tables. We were seated at a standard table, though I ended up ordering something the 'iron chef' prepared for me. My husbands dish came out about 10 minutes before my food came. When they brought my dish, it was just the fried rice, the rest followed about 7 minutes later. When we were close to being done, I ordered fried rice to take home. My order arrived about 10 minutes later, but it was not my rice. The staff told me I didn't order fried rice, but the woman who actually took my order confirmed I did order fried rice. The two stood exchanging rather cool looks at each other, which I wish they would have spared me. When we got the ticket, we saw we had been charged $5 for tea. If we had known (yes, we should have asked first), we would have just had water.
Hoping the food quality doesn't go down but the service goes up, we will be back here for sure.

2  Thank WATravelers005

Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

After having passed by the Mandolin several times and then seeing a Grand Opening banner, we decided to give it a try on a weekday evening. My mate has high standards, and I'm not nearly as familiar with this cuisine. We sat at their Tappanyaki bar. They also have a sushi bar as well as table dining in a windowed area. Our server was friendly and attentive, not at all intrusive. Our chef was entertaining and seemed experienced to me, my mate wasn't overly impressed however. She ordered a sushi salmon roll she said was ok, it had too much sauce though. The prepared tappanyaki was very good; the ingredients fresh &flavorful. Perhaps because of location the prices are competitively reasonable. We give the Mandolin a 3.5 on the 1st visit, out of a possible 5. We will be back!

1  Thank lowgere
Reviewed September 21, 2013

This sushi and steak house just opened Summer of 2013 in Tacoma. The food is excellent! You have a choice of a regular dining menu or sitting at the grill for tappen yaki (where they cook it right in front of you). Both menus are outstanding and the food is excellent - the vegies were al dente, just like I love, and the meats were cooked properly. I've been there twice now with my family, and we all want to go back. We've tried the grill tappen yaki (which is above average cost but very worth it), and the regular menu, where I got a great option for people who need to do low carb because of diet or diabetes - just ask them for the "bowl" without rice in the bowl and extra vegies instead - they are very accommodating, even at the tappen yaki grill. Our chef at the grill was very funny and entertaining. The cost is average to above average. Both times were overall excellent experiences, and I highly recommend them!

1  Thank veryunsatisfied150