“Food excellent, beer OK if you like hops”

Harmon Pub & Brewery
Ranked #19 of 748 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tacoma, Washington
“Food excellent, beer OK if you like hops”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

My husband and I sat outside to take advantage of the beautiful September day and we were not disappointed. This was our first trip to a restaurant in our new home town.

The beer: We tried a six-beer sampler. Like most microbrews, I found these beers to be excessively hopped for the most part, even if the brew calls for more hops than other beers. I believe microbrews tend to do this to set them apart from other breweries or to create some kind of shock value (I say this as someone who enjoys hops in moderation).

The food: We started with calamari and their house made chips. Calamari was clearly something that was ground up and formed into strips. If it was real calamari (with that distinctive texture) you wouldn't know it. The chips serving was huge. Both came with a delicious aioli sauce.

I had: The clam chowder and a salad. The salad was typical, and chowder was OK (and was not canned).

Husband had: A blue cheese burger that looked amazing. Harmon's apparently places the burger under the broiler for a bit to brown and melt the blue cheese. His garlic fries were amazing.

If you're going to a restaurant like this, definitely splurge for their flagship food. I hear the pizza is very good and we plan to try that when we go back.

• Visited September 2013

Queensbury, New York, United States
“Great place for food and beer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

I've been to the Harmon twice with my son and daughter in law who are regular customers there. They have great burgers and beer. The only reason I don't give them a solid five was the discrepancy of size in which the nacho platters came out. The one we got last year was way bigger than the one we got this year. There were other nacho platters that went past us that were way bigger than the one we got. I believe there is only one size but maybe I'm wrong. In any event, I'll be back for their other great food and beer oh and Trivia!!!!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Pete H
Blackwood, United Kingdom
“Unexpected Find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

After a long journey from the UK and after we settled into our hotel, decided to take a walk. We actually stumbled across the Harmon, and I am glad we did, good food and beer was on offer with a cracking atmosphere. The service was first rate, it was so good that we returned five days later to have our last meal before we continued on our American adventure to Alaska, the atmosphere on this Saturday was electric as it was the day of the Daffodil parade in Tacoma (August 24th). Although bursting at the seams after the parade had finished we were quickly seated and enjoyed another good meal along with some real pleasant ales.

• Visited August 2013
Pennsylvania, US
“Delicious burgers and perfect onion rings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We walked down Pacific Ave. from the Tacoma Glassblowing Studio to this great pub. My burger and fries were wonderful. Burgers were juicy and well-made with interesting choices of toppings. The onion rings were among the best I've had. The inside room has a distinctive 'pub smell' but we dined outside and loved watching the people.

Visited August 2013
Kent, Washington
“Family Favorite with Gluten Free Options”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

All you can eat free peanuts, great service, the $3 steak and potatoes are very good I usually order two.

I recommend the Mount Rainier Nachos with chicken (Its huge), The Harmon Hummus (The ladies love this one),

Great place to stop after visiting the museums.

Lots of screen to watch sports, kids play area.

My friends who drink love the selection of ales/beers.

• Visited August 2013