“Nothing fancy, just good food!”
Review of Southern Kitchen

Southern Kitchen
Ranked #61 of 757 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood
Tacoma, Washington
“Nothing fancy, just good food!”
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I stopped in here for an early dinner with one sunday with my husband and daughter. I had read many reviews and saw the restaurant featured on "Diner's, Drive-Ins's, and Dives". There were many things that we wanted to try but, we settled for the half chicken (fried chicken), chicken fried steak, and beef brisket. All the main courses we delicious. For the three sides that come with each meal we all ordered similar things. The green and mashed potatoes and gravy were awesome, the buttered corn was just that, and the macaroni and cheese left something to be desired. I would call it more "cheezy noodles". The cornckaes were good and the cornbread stuffing, that I ordered as a side, was my favorite side dish. Don't come here expecting to get fast, dazzling service. THey are busy and if your mama taught you right, you know how to be patient.

Pacific NW
“Disappointed”
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Funny how a thing about not getting your corn cakes can leave a bad taste in your mouth.

We arrived around 4pm and were promptly served our beverages and had our order taken. It took 35 minutes to get our food, and they were "out of corn cake batter, but making more," according to our server when he delivered our food. We ate, watched the other server serve her tables corn cakes - even a table that had just arrived! We were nearly finished with our meal and our server served the couple behind us their food WITH corncakes, and then immediately turned to tell us our cakes weren't ready yet, but would be out soon. We told him to not bother. Seems silly to me that this bothered me so, but it did and we will not return nor recommend the place.

1 Thank TariTari
Eden, North Carolina
“Enjoy Southern Delicacies Without Being In The South!”
Reviewed March 1, 2009

Being from Virginia and stationed in Ft. Lewis, Washington, I really, really missed southern cooking! No one in the area sold Sweet Tea, it was always the God awful Raspberry Tea or Unsweet! The food just wasn't the same like at home! Then a fellow soldier and I got to talking about missing down home, southern style cooking. She told me that there was this place in Tacoma called Southern Kitchen. So, I googled it to find out where and drove...I almost missed it b/c it was so small and right on the corner at the stoplight. I walked in and it was even smaller on the inside but when I ordered my food, I was in for a treat. On my first visit, I ordered Fried Chicken, collard greens, mac & cheese, corncake, and mashed potatoes and gravy!!! When I first took a bite....I was in heaven!!! I was back home again instantly. The Fried Chicken was savory, the greens had a little zip which is just right, the mac & cheese was homemade not boxed, the corncake aka cornbread was sweet and succulent and the mashed potatoes and gravy was decadent! Everything there is HOMEMADE! Even the lemonade and thank God almighty they served SWEET TEA!!! In Mason Jars! I left there feeling so content. I had my southern soul food fix! I returned several times...the only let down for me was the way they serve catfish. It tastes excellent but it is bone in with the tail. The old-fashioned way so I had to eat bones too. I am so thankful I found Southern Kitchen...it was my home away from home!

Tacoma, Washington
“Used to love it, cleanliness not even close to good enough. Found bugs in my food.”
Reviewed April 15, 2008

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I looooove this place! The staff is so genuine. Their CFS's (Country Fried Steaks) are the bomb. As in gut...”
Reviewed February 8, 2008

I looooove this place! The staff is so genuine. Their CFS's (Country Fried Steaks) are the bomb. As in gut bombs....but oh so delicious! I love their corn cakes, mac & cheese, and strawberry lemonade, too.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook