“Humongous portion of peach cobbler”
Review of Southern Kitchen

Southern Kitchen
Ranked #49 of 770 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Stopped in for a quick dessert after reading tripadvisor's reviews. They were nice about serving us even though they were technically closed. We only ordered peach cobbler and it could have fed 4 people comfortably! The cobbler was crusty and delicious & whipped cream great, but I was disappointed that the peaches were canned especially this time of year. In the south, the peaches would have been fresh and juicy!
Restaurant was clean, staff was wonderful and it was an enjoyable experience. I'm sure other food was probably good.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

My husband and I stopped by this restaurant on the advice of Guy Fieri (Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives) and we were not disappointed. We shared Cajun Catfish Strips and Peach Cobbler for dessert. Oh my gosh! The food was so good that I considered moving to Tacoma so I could eat it every week! The catfish was spiced just right and the peach cobbler was ample in size with just the right seasoning. This establishment is down-home friendly, with casual dining and a friendly staff. We left feeling like we had just visited our best friends and they cooked a feast for us. We will be back again.

Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

I really love the fried chicken. It is juicy and tender and finger licking good. That is pretty much what I get every time I visit. I also enjoy the corn cake they give you before your meal arrives. The corn cake is just sweet enough. I also order the strawberry lemonade in the mason jar topped with whipped cream. Yummy! The only real drawback is the prices can be steep.

Reviewed July 14, 2014

We walked in just as they were ready to close for the evening but they were very gracious and said they would be happy to have us stay. The chicken fried steak was great, the corn cakes delicious and the staff was great. Our waitress was perky, polite and had a great smile. This was our first taste of southern food and we would definitely go back to try other great sounding dishes.

Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

Wow! We visit this area every year as we have family here. There has never been a time we don't go to the Southern Kitchen several times during our stay. The food is great!! We are Southerners and none of our restaurants back home compare. Also never had any issues with the service!! Sad to see these negative reviews...guess it's a matter of opinion but maybe your expectations of Southern food is too high. Southern food is not fancy or gourmet! We love this place!!

Been to Southern Kitchen? Share your experiences!