“Just Like Home”

Southern Kitchen
Ranked #59 of 761 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were on our way through and decided to do a 24 hour stopover in Tacoma just to check it out. I saw a rib place around lunch time (but it wasn't open) so I searched for another southern food restaurant. I found Southern Kitchen. Who would have guessed what a SCORE that would be! It was Saturday around 1 pm. when we arrived and the place was hopping but they had a table for us. From the moment of arrival to the moment of departure it was like being at a cousin's house for a meal. Everyone was so nice to us. There were families at many of the tables around us and a large number of very finely dressed individuals and couples. The people watching was nearly as good as the food. Ahhhh, the food! We had fried okra and chicken. Out of this world!!! The waiter (I think his name is Paul) was the greatest highlight of all. Just a super NICE guy. Tacoma and Southern Kitchen will be a destination for us from here on out.

1  Thank iclaire
There are newer reviews for Southern Kitchen

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Southern Kitchen is the kind of place you wish you lived near. Fried chicken is one of those foods that I don't order very often, let's face it "health food" it's not. So when I do order it I'm counting on it being a real treat so it better be good, and Southern Kitchen did not disappoint! It was fried chicken at it's best.

Fortunately another member of our part ordered the brisket so I was able to sneak a few bites of that dish also. It was really, really good. Tender, meaty with a BBQ sauce that would be the envy of any serious sauce maker.

Their selection of sides made it a real challenge to decide what to add. I went with the collard greens, and mashed potatoes. The greens were perfect and the potatoes as good as they get.

Southern Kitchen is very small. They have maybe a dozen tables and they are busy, yet the service was great. Don’t be in a hurry either, the food is clearly cooked to order at it takes a few minutes, and worth it!

I’m already planning my next meal there, which I hope will be breakfast. I have to assume they can put out something special. If not breakfast then I think it will be one the catfish items, with macaroni & cheese and another order of collard greens.

Here’s the thing, if you’re going to obsess over fried foods and or if you’re a vegetarian don’t waste your time and take up space at one of the dozen or so tables they have, you won’t be happy.

If you really enjoy home style southern country cooking at it’s best run! Do not walk.

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Great food, little pricey, but worth it. Service was slow, but food was worth the wait. Small establishment, homestyle feel to it.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is the second time we have eaten here. It was just as good the second time around. First the friendly wait staff served cornbread griddle cakes with butter and honey. They were hot and delicious. Next came the fried chicken. Every bite was scrumptious. The sides were really good. And one of the best things about eating here...they do not serve any pork or cook with any pork. Pork is just plain UNhealthy for people. All the food served is fresh and the owner tries to shop locally for all her ingredients. We'll eat here every time we pass through Tacoma.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

I, like many others had seen the restaurant on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and made a mental note of it. My son got a summer internship in Seattle so the family made our summer vacation plans for Seattle. I mapquested it before I left home and made sure that we ate lunch there on the way back from Mt. Rainier. We were not disappointed!! We were greeted as soon as we came in the door. Marquis (sp) was our waiter and he was so friendly and hospitable. I ordered the mango lemonade and Marquis insisted that I get whipped cream on it. I am so glad I did. It was amazing. (never would have even tried it without his encouragement). The food was everything that I hoped it would be. I had the fried chicken sandwich which was actually 2 pieces of fried chicken on the bone and two pieces of bread with trimmings to make a sandwich. My side was candied yams. All was delicious. Again Marquis had explained what my "fried chicken sandwich" was as I was expecting the usual boneless chicken breast. My husband had the chicken fried steak and remarked how delicious it was. My fifteen year old ordered a fried chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and fried okra. The fried okra was too greasy, but the mashed potatoes were some of the best that I have ever tasted. The owner came over and greeted us. She was very nice. I wish I lived close to this restaurant as I would be there at least once a week. I would love to try some of the things that I missed. Many thanks to Marquis. He made the visit enjoyable and epitomizes what an excellent waiter should be. Despite being the only one waiting tables at the time and more and more people coming in every minute, he kept his smile and professionalism. I sure wish I had another mango lemonade about right now. It would go well in this 98 degree Texas heat!!