“So glad we ate here”

Southern Kitchen
Ranked #38 of 802 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I, like many others had seen the restaurant on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and made a mental note of it. My son got a summer internship in Seattle so the family made our summer vacation plans for Seattle. I mapquested it before I left home and made sure that we ate lunch there on the way back from Mt. Rainier. We were not disappointed!! We were greeted as soon as we came in the door. Marquis (sp) was our waiter and he was so friendly and hospitable. I ordered the mango lemonade and Marquis insisted that I get whipped cream on it. I am so glad I did. It was amazing. (never would have even tried it without his encouragement). The food was everything that I hoped it would be. I had the fried chicken sandwich which was actually 2 pieces of fried chicken on the bone and two pieces of bread with trimmings to make a sandwich. My side was candied yams. All was delicious. Again Marquis had explained what my "fried chicken sandwich" was as I was expecting the usual boneless chicken breast. My husband had the chicken fried steak and remarked how delicious it was. My fifteen year old ordered a fried chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and fried okra. The fried okra was too greasy, but the mashed potatoes were some of the best that I have ever tasted. The owner came over and greeted us. She was very nice. I wish I lived close to this restaurant as I would be there at least once a week. I would love to try some of the things that I missed. Many thanks to Marquis. He made the visit enjoyable and epitomizes what an excellent waiter should be. Despite being the only one waiting tables at the time and more and more people coming in every minute, he kept his smile and professionalism. I sure wish I had another mango lemonade about right now. It would go well in this 98 degree Texas heat!!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

the burgers wasn't great but the service was good, and the lemonade with whipped cream and straberries was the best I've ever had. We chose this place because we seen in on Diners & Drive in & Dives and thought we would try it. This place is hopping with customers and will never be withought a job because when one table opens it's fufilled quickly. the owner came out to mingle a bit, and I thought that was nice. But I would stick with teh chicken and Catfish, the greens were too salty for my taste, but maybe it was just me.

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

When you have lived in the south, soul food becomes a part of who you are and you crave it. When you live in the NW, lot of restaurants try to call their food, soul food, but rarely does it fit the bill. Southern Kitchen fits the bill beautifully. It is a small place-maybe 25 tables with a hometown, friendly charm. We arrived around 5 for an early dinner and by the time we left at 6:30, the line was out the door. Clearly, the locals come here. The service was outstanding. The owner chatted with everyone, and I don't mean the required "checking on the food" chat. She genuinely cares about her return customers and enjoys getting to know the new ones. Now, about the food. It was outstanding. There were 5 of us and between us we had the fried chicken (a lot of fried chicken), chicken fried steak, collard greens, candied yams, hush puppies, smooth as silk mashed potatoes, cornbread stuffing, corn, and fried okra. There were many more things to try, including amazing desserts, but we ran out of room! The entire experience makes you feel like you are down south-in a small town-taking your time to slow down, chat and enjoy some lovingly crafted food.

Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Jack pot!!!

Guy Fieri's recommendation on is spot on!

The fried chicken, mashed potatoes, collard greens, fried corn cakes & fried okra is AMAZING!!! The fried chicken is super crunchy, sooo moist & very flavorful. Flawlessly addicting!!!

They definitely lead the way in souther comfort food!

*Their strawberry lemonade is certainly the BEST I have ever tasted! They put a spin on it with peaches & whipped cream. Its served in a mason jar...real refreshing.

*The service they provided was memorable to the point they truly welcome you like family.

Highly recommend!!!

Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

I always go here with my brother when I visit Tacoma for breakfast. The hush puppies and corn cakes are delicious! Their portions are also huge for the money you pay, so come hungry. Also, highly recommend the mango lemonade !