“I don't really like fried chicken in general, but they have good sides and good omelettes.”
Review of Southern Kitchen

Southern Kitchen
Ranked #57 of 759 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood
Reviewed December 7, 2007

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The food gets three stars with a bonus star for hospitality and authenticity. Despite it being closing time, we...”
Reviewed December 5, 2007

The food gets three stars with a bonus star for hospitality and authenticity. Despite it being closing time, we received a lot of attention and the catfish cook came out to introduce himself and chat. Leave the chicken and other entrees alone and go straight for the catfish. It was very well done; soft but not mushy. The yams were a stringy disappointment. The best thing to me is that they have a honey bear on the table and serve corncakes - that's how I knew they are the real deal. Overall, I felt right at home and took with me a delicious peach cobbler . Give the place a try - you won't swoon but you'll be very happy you went to the party.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Amazing catfish and hush...”
Reviewed December 4, 2007

Amazing catfish and hush puppies. Also love the fried green tomatoes. Sometimes the service is sparse, but overall, this is some great soul food.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Awesome! Authentic, great food...try out the lemonade in canning jars, and the delicious peach pie. Jesus... immaculate...”
Reviewed November 16, 2007

Awesome! Authentic, great food...try out the lemonade in canning jars, and the delicious peach pie. Jesus... immaculate food!

Kaiserslautern, Germany
“Fantastic, authentic southern food”
Reviewed October 21, 2006

Southern Kitchen is a little dive to look at, with areas needed repainting, an old sign outside, and a screen door at the entrance. But that's part of the ambience at this place where you can find people dining in suits next to people that look like they just came off the street. Prices are very cheap, less than $10.

Both sets of my grandparents lived in small towns in midwest Texas. They would serve freshly caught catfish, fried with a cornmeal batter that was best I have ever had... until Southern Kitchen. I don't where they get their catfish, but it consistently plump, juicy and very fresh tasting with a wonderful cornmeal batter. I was not as impressed with their fried chicken, but it certainly wasn't bad.

They do wonderful breakfasts, and repeated friends eating with me have agreed, their single best dish is their fried catfish fillet breakfast. You may find it hard to imagine eating catfish for breakfast (as I did at first), but try it, you'll love it. Their grits are unusually good (how do you make grits special? I don't know, but they did). Their biscuits, surprisingly, are not a standout. Sometimes fairly good, sometimes a little dried out. (I was raised on southern food -- I'm picky.)

Other items that are especially good: panfried ham on the breakfast menu, mac 'n' cheese, fried okra, and a very large glass of mango lemonade (share it with 2 or 3 people). They have won several awards for their peach cobbler, but I was disappointed with it personally. It's made with canned peaches and tastes it.

One of the best meals in Tacoma, and a great value. Highly recommended!

2 Thank SWHighlander