“Overpriced greasy food”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood
Sammamish
“Overpriced greasy food”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I'm from the south and I have to say that this place has a real southern food. My complaint was that for dinner for 2, hush puppies, fried chicken and chicken fried steak came up to over $40.00.
I think it is overpriced for what we got.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank pamseattle

Auburn, Washington
“Outstanding Southern food”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Having grown up in the South, this is by far the best food i have had this side of the Mississippi! My family and i go there a couple times a month, just to enjoy the food; its well worth the drive.

• Visited August 2012
“Best in Tacoma!”
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Comfort food at a new level! Best meal I've had since leaving Missouri. Small place was packed when we arrived..... didn't mind waiting for a stool at the counter to open up. Was offered a table as soon as one opened but was content at the counter. Best sweet tea served in a large mason jar! Had Fried Chicken, collard greens, and buttered corn... everything was excellent. Highly recommend.

Washington
“Comfort food to put you in a food coma.”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stopped here on our way home from a vacation for lunch. We saw that it had been featured on diners, drive-ins, and dives and it peaked our interest especially since I grew up in the south. The restaurant itself is small but cozy and it is very informal, reminds me of little mom and pop places in the south. We were greeted and told to seat ourselves and pretty quickly asked for our drink order. We ordered sweet tea and strawberry lemonade which were both delicious, the sweet tea was very sweet like a southern sweet tea should be and they put whipped cream on top of the strawberry lemonade which was a nice surprise. We ordered the brisket with mashed potatoes and gravy and a side of buttered corn, the southern fried chicken with candied yams and a side of mac and cheese, and my daughter who is picky ordered the hamburger and fries. Before our meal came we got corncakes which looked like pancakes and were very yummy and my 5 year old even loved them which was a shock since it wasn't in her usual menu of foods. The meal came quicker than expected and everything was great! The chicken was the perfect balance of crispy on the outside and moist inside. The candied yams were perfect...brisket tender and flavorful. I had read other reviews that people considered the mashed potatoes like being from a box...I don't think they are from a box but they definitely are not as flavored or as thick as I like but still not bad. My daughter said her hamburger was also good, perfect size for a 10 year old. Portions are plentiful so make sure not to fill up on beverages before your meal comes. Diners, drive-ins, and dives did not let me down on this one....I will definitely be back and don't mind making the 2 hour drive from my home just to eat here. More than likely my husband will drive so that I can sleep the whole way home after I put myself into a yummy food coma courtesy of Southern Kitchen.

Grandy, North Carolina
“True southern food in Tacoma. Go figure.”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We went there on the recommendation of our son's girlfriend who lives in Tacoma. My husband and I are from NC so we know southern cooking and this was the bomb. I felt like I was back in my grandma's kitchen in Alabama. They start you with a corn cake appetizer that was tasty. We all 4 had the fried chicken and sweet tea. Both were awesome. Most sweet tea anywhere north of the mason/dixon line is not fesh brewed. This tasted like my mom's. I had collard greens that were some of the best I've ever had. Everyone else had the mac n' cheese and were all raving. The place looks sketchy from the outside but is warm and welcoming on the inside and judging by the crowds of people is fast becoming a not so well kept secret for Tacoma. Definately go!

• Visited June 2012