“Comfort food to put you in a food coma.”
Review of Southern Kitchen

Southern Kitchen
Ranked #57 of 751 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood
Washington
“Comfort food to put you in a food coma.”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stopped here on our way home from a vacation for lunch. We saw that it had been featured on diners, drive-ins, and dives and it peaked our interest especially since I grew up in the south. The restaurant itself is small but cozy and it is very informal, reminds me of little mom and pop places in the south. We were greeted and told to seat ourselves and pretty quickly asked for our drink order. We ordered sweet tea and strawberry lemonade which were both delicious, the sweet tea was very sweet like a southern sweet tea should be and they put whipped cream on top of the strawberry lemonade which was a nice surprise. We ordered the brisket with mashed potatoes and gravy and a side of buttered corn, the southern fried chicken with candied yams and a side of mac and cheese, and my daughter who is picky ordered the hamburger and fries. Before our meal came we got corncakes which looked like pancakes and were very yummy and my 5 year old even loved them which was a shock since it wasn't in her usual menu of foods. The meal came quicker than expected and everything was great! The chicken was the perfect balance of crispy on the outside and moist inside. The candied yams were perfect...brisket tender and flavorful. I had read other reviews that people considered the mashed potatoes like being from a box...I don't think they are from a box but they definitely are not as flavored or as thick as I like but still not bad. My daughter said her hamburger was also good, perfect size for a 10 year old. Portions are plentiful so make sure not to fill up on beverages before your meal comes. Diners, drive-ins, and dives did not let me down on this one....I will definitely be back and don't mind making the 2 hour drive from my home just to eat here. More than likely my husband will drive so that I can sleep the whole way home after I put myself into a yummy food coma courtesy of Southern Kitchen.

Grandy, North Carolina
“True southern food in Tacoma. Go figure.”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We went there on the recommendation of our son's girlfriend who lives in Tacoma. My husband and I are from NC so we know southern cooking and this was the bomb. I felt like I was back in my grandma's kitchen in Alabama. They start you with a corn cake appetizer that was tasty. We all 4 had the fried chicken and sweet tea. Both were awesome. Most sweet tea anywhere north of the mason/dixon line is not fesh brewed. This tasted like my mom's. I had collard greens that were some of the best I've ever had. Everyone else had the mac n' cheese and were all raving. The place looks sketchy from the outside but is warm and welcoming on the inside and judging by the crowds of people is fast becoming a not so well kept secret for Tacoma. Definately go!

Tacoma, Washington, United States
“average”
Reviewed June 16, 2012

its was an okay southern style resturant, but grewing up in alabama where this food is on every corner i just didnt find it that great. the prices were way over the top for the food you get again coming from when you grow up in the south they have the same foods at a 8 dollar buffet and taste just as good.

Visited February 2012
Beaverton, Oregon
“Great food but not a bargain”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The food was great, but I think they are taking advantage of their DDD status as their prices are no bargain. My wife and I split a fried chicken dinner and had their mac n' cheese and collard green sides, plus we each had an iced tea. When checking out our bill was right at $25! Which was more than I expected, but didn't question the clerk on how he arrived at that figure. In hindsight I should have asked.

The fried chicken was good, but was surprised that when you get a two piece dinner that a chicken wing was one of the two pieces! Our table ordered 3 of the 2 piece dinners, and all 3 dinners included a chicken wing as one of the pieces.

The mac n' cheese was great and I loved the collard greens which were very tasty (of course having bacon mixed in helps).

Would have loved to have tried their deserts, but we had been eating DDD type food all weekend and decided we didn't need the extra calories.

North Bend, Washington, United States
“Wowee! What a Meal”
Reviewed June 9, 2012

The Southern Kitchen probably isn't no your way to anywhere else but it's an easy stop off I-5. And well worth it, The menu is heavy on down-home Southern food: fried chicken and fish, BBQ brisket, hush puppies, red beans, sweet potato pie, etc. Portions are ample, the service was super friendly, and the prices very reasonable. We live fifty miles away and will make the trip back occasionally. Beware, it's a small place that I expect is quite busy during prime dining hours.