“Great food but not a bargain”
Review of Southern Kitchen

Southern Kitchen
Ranked #45 of 774 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The food was great, but I think they are taking advantage of their DDD status as their prices are no bargain. My wife and I split a fried chicken dinner and had their mac n' cheese and collard green sides, plus we each had an iced tea. When checking out our bill was right at $25! Which was more than I expected, but didn't question the clerk on how he arrived at that figure. In hindsight I should have asked.

The fried chicken was good, but was surprised that when you get a two piece dinner that a chicken wing was one of the two pieces! Our table ordered 3 of the 2 piece dinners, and all 3 dinners included a chicken wing as one of the pieces.

The mac n' cheese was great and I loved the collard greens which were very tasty (of course having bacon mixed in helps).

Would have loved to have tried their deserts, but we had been eating DDD type food all weekend and decided we didn't need the extra calories.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

The Southern Kitchen probably isn't no your way to anywhere else but it's an easy stop off I-5. And well worth it, The menu is heavy on down-home Southern food: fried chicken and fish, BBQ brisket, hush puppies, red beans, sweet potato pie, etc. Portions are ample, the service was super friendly, and the prices very reasonable. We live fifty miles away and will make the trip back occasionally. Beware, it's a small place that I expect is quite busy during prime dining hours.

Reviewed May 29, 2012

as the name implies it is real southern cooking. reviewed on DDD (diner, drive ins and dives) lots of fried food from chicken to fish etc. but since I'm supposed to stay away from fried foods I go for the breakfast because they have a $5.00 special that changes every day.. Great staff, will call you by your name if you become a regular. and great service.

Reviewed April 27, 2012

We were headed to Gig Harbor, so it was an easy stop in Tacoma on the way back to Seattle. We had reviewed Southern Kitchen via DDD and also heard about it from people who had been there. While not located in the best part of town, this is a cute little building with an okay interior. Luckily, we arrived at a non-prime time hour, so there were only a few tables taken. We started with the Fried Green Tomatoes, which were perhaps the best "hit" on the menu; not overly ripe, thin cut and not overly greasy. I ordered the Southen Fried Chicken and found it to be moist and tasty; perhaps a bit too greasy, but, that's what fried chicked is all about, right? The second "hit" was the collard greens, which were simply excellent. The fried catfish strips were also pretty tasty, but perhaps a bit dry. Lastly, we did a carry out on the peach cobbler. The portion was massive and it was excellent. Give the place a try; I do not think that you will be disappointed as this place is pretty authentic.

1  Thank nadojeff
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My family and went for dinner and were disappointed. I heard a lot of good things about this place and my wife loves southern food, but after living near Nashville, TN and Savannah, GA, this stuff doesn't even come close. I ordered the chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and was not impressed. My wife had the fried chicken with mac and cheese. The fried chicken was about as good as Church's Chicken, the mac and cheese was cold and clumped together. Don't buy into Diners drive-ins and dives, this place isn't worth the price.

1  Thank lobosfan24

Been to Southern Kitchen? Share your experiences!