“one of a kind”

Southern Kitchen
Ranked #59 of 749 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tacoma, Washington
“one of a kind”
Reviewed February 18, 2012

This is the kind of old fashioned regional cuisine whose thoroughly authentic atmosphere is not put on - it's, well, thoroughly authentic - the staff is warm and efficient and the food is genuine Southern. The Southern fried chicken is perfect. So is everything else on the menu.

Oahu, Hawaii
“Diners and dives disappointment”
Reviewed February 4, 2012

Whenever I go to a new place I like to research places I've seen on TV ..this was on diners and dives. Usually a safe bet but this time it wasn't that good. The best thing on that we tried was the brisket for sure! Yum Catfish was ok Mac n cheese was good but not the best. Mmm the biscuits and gravy were good. Okra and fried green tomatoes and corn cakes were good . Strawberry lemonades were a hit but they the whip cream settles in it after awhile wasn't to appetizing. Maybe ask for no whip.

Tracy, CA
“Californian going for the southern food!”
Reviewed January 18, 2012

I am not from the south, but I saw this on DDD and was in the area, so gave it a try. Four of us went together and we practically licked our plates! We had fried chicken, mash and gravy, collards, Mac and cheese and rice with gravy. Even the picky teenager was licking his lips! The corn cakes were great too! For being on triple D, I feel I got exactly what I was looking for. If you want good service, funky decor, and great food, you must try this place. If you are into upscale and fine furnishings, you are in the wrong place. I can't wait to go back!

East Bay
“Popular with the locals for a reason, but oh, the wait!”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Saw that Southern Kitchen was featured on DDD (Food Network) and since we were hungry and had just arrived in Washington, decided to give it a try. It was Sunday, late morning and the place was not only packed, there were quite a few people waiting outside. Parking was very limited, but if you circle the block there is parking available in the surrounding neighborhood. Here are the highlights of our visit:

Con: took a while to be seated-->small "joint"+limited seating+good food= wait...maybe longer than I would have liked traveling with 2 kids
Pro: friendly staff that greeted us with a smile
Con: took way too long to get menu's and then have our orders taken...and you guessed it, for the food to finally come-this was my biggest gripe! Understaffed for the number of customers they were serving.
Pro: YUM..this food was good...I had the Southern Classic of biscuits and gravy...delicious and filling...the whole family enjoyed their meals!
Pro: love the lemonade being served in a mason jar...classic!
Con: Food was so filling that we did not have any room left for the signature dish-peach cobbler-we were forewarned and took it to go
Con: the peach cobbler, though widely celebrated, was not as special as I had hoped...I have had just as good in my home area of the SF Bay
Con: the neighborhood was maybe not the best...I am not from the Tacoma area, but I live in an urban area and can tell a "dodgy" 'hood. Took the usual urban precautions and all was well.
Pro: costs were reasonable, what I am used to paying for such fare in my own area, but no steal of a deal-for the money you pay, you will be full!

Overall...if you like to support local businesses and like to eat where the locals eat, then this is your place in Tacoma. Be prepared to wait to be seated and for your food to arrive.

• Visited July 2011
Olympia, Washington
“I always think about their breakfast. It's so delicious. Corncakes!”
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Don't forget to get the corncakes. The staff is super friendly. It has always been great with the food and service. They have 4.95 breakfast specials that rotate that are a great deal. Their sides are my favorite. The fried chicken is some of the best out there.

• Visited October 2011

Been to Southern Kitchen? Share your experiences!