“Californian going for the southern food!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Southern Kitchen
Ranked #49 of 742 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tracy, CA
“Californian going for the southern food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

I am not from the south, but I saw this on DDD and was in the area, so gave it a try. Four of us went together and we practically licked our plates! We had fried chicken, mash and gravy, collards, Mac and cheese and rice with gravy. Even the picky teenager was licking his lips! The corn cakes were great too! For being on triple D, I feel I got exactly what I was looking for. If you want good service, funky decor, and great food, you must try this place. If you are into upscale and fine furnishings, you are in the wrong place. I can't wait to go back!

East Bay
“Popular with the locals for a reason, but oh, the wait!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2012

Saw that Southern Kitchen was featured on DDD (Food Network) and since we were hungry and had just arrived in Washington, decided to give it a try. It was Sunday, late morning and the place was not only packed, there were quite a few people waiting outside. Parking was very limited, but if you circle the block there is parking available in the surrounding neighborhood. Here are the highlights of our visit:

Con: took a while to be seated-->small "joint"+limited seating+good food= wait...maybe longer than I would have liked traveling with 2 kids
Pro: friendly staff that greeted us with a smile
Con: took way too long to get menu's and then have our orders taken...and you guessed it, for the food to finally come-this was my biggest gripe! Understaffed for the number of customers they were serving.
Pro: YUM..this food was good...I had the Southern Classic of biscuits and gravy...delicious and filling...the whole family enjoyed their meals!
Pro: love the lemonade being served in a mason jar...classic!
Con: Food was so filling that we did not have any room left for the signature dish-peach cobbler-we were forewarned and took it to go
Con: the peach cobbler, though widely celebrated, was not as special as I had hoped...I have had just as good in my home area of the SF Bay
Con: the neighborhood was maybe not the best...I am not from the Tacoma area, but I live in an urban area and can tell a "dodgy" 'hood. Took the usual urban precautions and all was well.
Pro: costs were reasonable, what I am used to paying for such fare in my own area, but no steal of a deal-for the money you pay, you will be full!

Overall...if you like to support local businesses and like to eat where the locals eat, then this is your place in Tacoma. Be prepared to wait to be seated and for your food to arrive.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Olympia, Washington
“I always think about their breakfast. It's so delicious. Corncakes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

Don't forget to get the corncakes. The staff is super friendly. It has always been great with the food and service. They have 4.95 breakfast specials that rotate that are a great deal. Their sides are my favorite. The fried chicken is some of the best out there.

• Visited October 2011
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I know they can do better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

I really enjoyed their fried green tomatoes and mac n cheese. I just moved here from the south and I saw this place on food network. The owner cooked for food network but the person that cooked our food was very disappointing. The fried chicken was horrible. No season @ all. The owner was rude and she spent more time talking on her cell phone than anything else. Very expensive for a family of 5. She needs to visit the south and learn how to cook better or change the name of her establishment.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Gig Harbor, Washington
“Not living up to the hype”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

Great chicken but so so sides. Breakfast was a total bust- they put raw jalapeños in my veggie omelet instead of green peppers. Service is not great either- with empty tables should not have to wait so long for service

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Been to Southern Kitchen? Share your experiences!