“Delicious down home Southern cooking!”
Review of Southern Kitchen

Southern Kitchen
Ranked #60 of 762 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Seafood
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Definitely your go-to place for Southern cooking in the Pacific Northwest!

Come visit a place where the servers are very genuine and care about your dining experience. Portions are huge, but the place itself is somewhat small. Living in Tacoma for 3 months, I planned to go during the week when friends were visiting to avoid the crowded weekend mornings. This worked out to my advantage.

If you are in the mood for some full fat, filling, soul food, this is the place to go!
I had: cornmeal pancakes, & bacon for breakfast. Both were delectable. Also, had a bite of my friend's mashed potatoes and gravy....it was to die for!

There are newer reviews for Southern Kitchen

Reviewed August 4, 2011

I also dont understand how nobody else around here, understands. This is NOT REAL Southern Food. Places such as Uncle Thurm's, meanwhile, out on the eastside near Linclon High, is real soul food. And I had a friend who cooked @ Southern Kitchen and basically they fry there frozen foods, alot of stuff comes from cans, it isnt authentic and people dont care becasue they DONT KNOW any better, unless they are from the south or had been there and tasted the quality of southern food, from somebody's mother in the south. Georgia preferrably. And I wanted cornbread, not a pancake with no syrup...wait...i'll stop.

1  Thank NotE40
Reviewed July 28, 2011

My fiance's sister now lives in Seattle and we've been out there twice to visit her. Both times, we made a trip out to Southern Kitchen in Tacoma because we loved the food and hospitality of the staff so much. They are even more friendly when we remind them that we are from Canada and deliberately come to their restaurant when we're in the area. I've never had fried green tomatoes but after having them here, they have made it onto my favourite foods list. If there was such a thing as tomato heaven, these fried green tomatoes have taken me there.

We always order more than we can eat there b/c we always want to try something new while also getting some of the favs. Allow me to further recommend: their mango lemonade is to-die-for. Jam packed with huge chunks of sweet mango with the right tanginess of the lemonade and topped with fluffy whipped cream. It comes in a massive sauce jar and is more than enough for two people to share. We've also tried their fried okra, fried chicken, corn cake, fried catfish, hush puppies, mac and cheese and collard greens. All very tasty.

Since I don't visit the mid-west much, this is where I get my southern food fix. I highly recommend making a trip out here if you're in the mood for some comfort food at a good price and very friendly and quick wait staff. Can't wait to go back again soon!

Reviewed July 16, 2011

Second time down to Southern Kitchen for their fried catfish (for the wife), fried chicken (for me) and mac'n'cheese (for the kids). The strawberry lemonade with the whipped cream.. fantastic. Friendly service, don't come here if you're counting calories!
And... we're not locals! From Vancouver, BC and when we stay with family in Seattle, we take the 45min trip down to Tacoma for some good comfort food. :)

Reviewed February 20, 2011

I finally decided to come visit after seeing on "Diners, Dives & Drive-Ins" as well as having a craving for some southern fried chicken.

We came in after doing some X-mas shopping at the Tacoma Mall nearby. We got a little lost as there was construction off the highway and could not get to the exit we needed.

It was on the corner & we almost missed it (it is next to a Jiffy Lube).

The restaurant wasn't busy and we were seated immediately. I tried one of their strawberry lemonades made with real chunks of strawberry and it was delish. I felt bad as it came with about 1/2 pound of whip cream and I had to ask for it to be re-made as I cannot stand whip cream. The waitress took it back without any attitude & replaced it.

I ordered the chicken wing meal as well as the sides which come with. I was a little disappointed in the sides but the chicken itself was large portioned and great to eat.

Overall, would rank good on some of the main entrees but the sides do need to be updated. Drinks were great & do recommend the lemonades even if they are a bit pricey.