“Order your own food.”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Olympia WA
“Order your own food.”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We were in town for the 4th of July. We sat outside. It was probably about 75 degrees, yet the heaters were on outside. You order your own food inside, then the servers bring it out. The hamburger was good, no frills. It is sort of fast food in a restaurant setting. I would probably give it another try if it was not a holiday, but I was surprised at the cafeteria atmosphere.

Seattle
“Nice view good food”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I don't know if you've had this experience:
You go to a restaurant with a view. The view is great and the food is mediocre or not even that and maybe the service is kinda forgettable.

I had reservations about Katie Downs. You know...not where you make a reservation for a table.. I mean I was a little apprehensive.

My first visit.

It looked fine from the outside sitting there on the shores of Puget Sound a few minutes drive from downtown Tacoma.

My lunch companion had recommended the place. She has lived a while in Tacoma and said she knew good places to eat and so there we were walking up to the counter to place our orders.

Katie Downs seemed to be kind of an upscale pub with inside and outside seating with the inside tables kind of scrunched together so it would not be too much effort to get to know folks at adjoining tables if you we're of the uber outgoing type. We indicated to the cashier where we'd be sitting at a table on the wrap around deck.

What a lovely day it was with the sun shining and from our table we could see across the water to Vashon Island, East Tacoma, container ships, tugs and pleasure craft sailing by.

Soon our orders arrived... my friends shrimp salad and my reuben sandwich with a cup of chowder and a quartered long slice of pickle. The chowder was excellent. with generous hunks of clam and potatoes served piping hot. I am fussy about chowder and this was very good.
My friend said she enjoyed her salad.

This was a very enjoyable dining experience.

Afterward we strolled down the nicely landscaped pedestrian walk that parallels the beach breathing in the salt air and taking in the marine view. The city of Tacoma has done a wonderful job of creating this paved walking/jogging trail that will take you all the way to Pt. Defiance Park.

Yeah...Katie Downs...a little ont the pricey side for a place where you order at the counter but the view and food....it's worth it.

• Visited June 2013
Tucson, Arizona
“Great views and great food”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The food and the views here are wonderful - especially on July 4th. The only downsides are it has become pricey and can be quite noisy.

San Francisco, California
“Great Party Place”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

So I was told of this place and told I had to take my girlfriend there...so I did. The view is AMAZING but it wound up it was mainly just a watering hole with food. It was very loud; you order from the bar; and if you dont get a seat on the deck - well its just not that great. This is ALL about the view.... if you aren't on the deck; you may as well go elsewhere for food....

Tacoma
“Business Lunch”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I went out to lunch the other day. It was actually a business meeting with a long known associate in the IT community, and I must say it was a great experience. The sandwich I had was very good the beer was cold and flavorful and the service was prompt and friendly. Kudos to Katie Downs for making my lunch meeting memorable and fun. I would recommend it to any family or friends for a great place to go out and dine.

• Visited June 2013

Been to Katie Downs? Share your experiences!