“Art of dining & relaxing”
Review of Art House Cafe

Art House Cafe
Ranked #57 of 802 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Amazing food. The taste was delicious, but the presentation even more dazeling. Great wine list and stellar service.

3  Thank TheHuntress52

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Family members had eaten at the Art House Cafe and recommended it; we were happy they did. The food was excellent. We ate on the ground floor while upstairs there was an art class in session--what a fun mix!
We ordered a watermelon salad with prawns that was very creative and so delicious. I had never heard of combining watermelon, prawns, cucumber, and goat cheese but it worked! We also had a pizza that was excellent.
The staff was friendly and the owners spent time visiting with us. I can't wait to go back and try more of their innovative and delicious menu.

3  Thank Diane W
Reviewed July 10, 2013

A little pricey for what you get, food can be hit or miss. My mother in law loves it but has been admittedly disappointed at times. I got a fruit plate that was something like $5 for a tiny handful of berries and nectarine slices.

1  Thank Breck06
Reviewed June 20, 2013

About 10 of us ladies decided to come to The Art House Cafe for breakfast to celebrate 2 birthdays. We were so excited to try this restaurant in the heart of the Stadium District in Tacoma! I had checked out their menu online and (as I always do) read the reviews on Tripadvisor and the majority seemed to be positive. They specialize in Organic food and freshly baked goods and Stumptown Coffee.
We arrived and they seated all 10 of us with no problem. Cute and artsy decor with cucumber water in glass decanters on the tables. The waiter came and took all of our orders on his iPad- so hip! He then comes back a while later to retake our orders because of a computer malfunction- ugh! Really? We're all starving of course! It took a very long time to get our orders and when the food finally arrived at least 4 out of 10 of us had the wrong order or it was improperly prepared! Such a bummer! My ordered was wrong -so as I and 3 others waited to get our orders corrected the others ate theirs. When our meals finally arrived everyone else was finished!
As for the quality of the food our table had mixed reviews. One lady sent back her Eggs Benedict because her eggs were over cooked and her Hollandaise Sauce (she ordered on the side) was so thick that it wouldn't pour out- even upside down! While another lady said everything was fabulous!
I had eggs over medium and they were fine. The rosemary roasted potatoes that many rave about were oily, not seasoned enough, if at all, and a bit under done. My bacon was also not cooked enough. One order of Pumpkin Spiced Pancakes was doughy- yuck! while another stack of pancakes was perfect!
Things we loved: Brioche French Toast, homemade cinnamon roll, Stumptown Coffee, one of the Eggs Benedict orders, desserts.
When it was all said and done an apology was given by 2 or 3 different employees! One employee stated that there were issues in the kitchen (not sure what they were). They then comped our WHOLE ORDER and offered us free dessert also! We chose the Lemon Cheesecake and a Chocolate Bread Pudding, I believe. They both got rave reviews!
I was happy that they comped our whole meal and seemed genuinely sincere in their apology. I love when a business takes the initiative then and there to right a terrible wrong- and The Art House Cafe rose to the occasion in my opinion! Some of the food was sub par and it took forever to get our orders!
So I asked all of my friends if they would return-they ALL said no - But they all agreed they would return for coffee and dessert! I know that this is a new establishment and because of their goodwill gesture I personally would give them another chance for breakfast! I am giving them 3/5 stars because they seemed to be having an 'off' day. They didn't charge us a cent for 10 meals and were sincerely apologetic! They earned another chance with me-Hopefully my next review will give them 5 Stars!

1  Thank HIIMCJ
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I love that they locally source their food, bake their own breads, and use a fusion approach to flavors and presentation. Have eaten here 4 times in the last two months and enjoyed each time. Their arugula salad is especially good. Very nice lunch place with better food than most places.

2  Thank kleinink