“Tropical Rain Forest Minutes from Downtown”

5 Mile Drive & Trails
Ranked #6 of 77 things to do in Tacoma
Seattle, Washington
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Tropical Rain Forest Minutes from Downtown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Point Defiance Park has been Tacoma's recreational gem for over a century. At local restaurants you see vintage pictures of people traversing the five-mile drive in horse-drawn carriages.

The 5-Mile Drive is a semi-circle that traces the edge of the peninsula across from Vashon Island and Gig Harbor. Saturday mornings it it closed to motorized traffic, which means that hikers, runners, and bikers share this wonderful space, with awesome views of Vashon and the Narrows, moss-covered trails through groves of patriarchs, and terminally cute raccoons who waylay traffic and demand oreos or else.

Wonderful for walking, whether on pavement or on trails. Please don't feed the raccoons. They are already unionized, and it's just a matter of time before one of them runs for mayor.

Visited November 2013
5 Thank Seattle_Hiker

• Korean first
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Watch out for the racoons!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

Lately my visits to the Park on Tacoma's north end have been punctuated by encounters with fairly aggressive raccoons who seem to not believe me when I tell them I have not come bearing food for them. I love the drive, but stay in my car and rarely roll the windows down when I stop. But, raccoons aside, it is still the most beautiful drive in Tacoma.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank J S
Gig Harbor, Washington
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“trail running doesn't get any better”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

Point Defiance is really accessible to all. There are long term residents that don't miss a day at the park. There are annual family and cultural celebrations that spend a warm day barbequeing, weddings, receptions, reunions, and my favorite Sunday trail runs. It is an amazing gem on the water.

Visited November 2013
3 Thank nonie w
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Pretty Drive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Very pretty drive. Sane time for mommy while baby chills in car seat. HAHA it's rare I get time alone & this was very relaxing. So Relaxing I did it twice.

Visited October 2013
3 Thank Tracy B
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“A Tacoma Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

I feel so fortunate and lucky to have Point Defiance Park and the Five Miles Drive in my "backyard". Part of my lunch time 15 mile cycle loop 2-4 times a week, I never get tired of the old growth Doug Fir and cedar, the views of the Olympics, and the different flowers that bloom across the year.

The pot smoking kids add flavor too. I get lots of cheers from them when I wear my Pink Floyd bike jersey. And, no worries about them speeding either.

Visited October 2013