“Surprisingly Decent for the Area”

Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Tacoma
Reviewed May 24, 2014

From the outside, it looks a bit dicey for the neighborhood. Next door is a run-down (probably empty?) warehouse and across the street is a run-down looking building, too. I'm talking broken windows and am "looking for drug dealers"-type run-down. Thinking our pretty Hot Mustang we just rented for the week was not a good decision. However, the parking garage is key-entry and the front desk assured me the garage camera monitored and there was a security night watchman. (Car remained unscathed, yay.) Tho we didn't walk that area of town after dark, we did drive in/out after dark. No weird people or gangs around.

The lobby inside has been updated and looks nice. Front desk super. Breakfast area updated and has a large screen TV. Free paper Mon-Fri but not on the weekends. Disappointed in that! Breakfast was outstanding. One of the better breakfasts: mini-fridge w/yogurt, fat-free milk, 2% milk, cream cheese. Also pancakes, biscuits & gravy, sausage, pancakes, toast and plenty of fresh fruit, cold cereal, plain oatmeal as well as fru-fru oatmeal. Real butter as well as whipped oil, honey, jams.

Breakfast wait staff super friendly and even took my glass Tea bottles I had brought with me since the hotel doesn't have recycle bins. (Shame on HIE for no recycling!! And in a city big on recycling, of all places!)

Walking into our 5th floor room, disappointing after the lobby. Dated carpeting, dated paint, dated furnishings. Bed was a king and was comfy. Mattress, Comforter & Pillows just about right. Bathroom looked updated which is always a plus in my book. Walk-in large shower (no tub). Plenty of shower amenities on the counter. And CLEAN! Yay! I detest finding hair in my room and the bathroom and this place was well-kept. You can tell the maid service does their best.
After a few days, the dated look of the room/hallways didn't bother me anymore. The Flat screen basic cable was a letdown. Mostly sports & news. (No Bravo channel) Free HBO.

Biggest issue? Leaving the parking garage was a royal pain!! On one side is the hotel bus parked on street, on the other side is the hotel trash bin. Both block view of any traffic until your right out in the middle of the street. Even creeping out is dangerous. Good tip, just turn right out of the parking garage and loop the block. Getting out onto the main street next to the hotel is about non-existent during rush hour traffic. Surprising how many cars travel in front of the hotel, too.

Rating 3+ but gave it a 4th star for the breakfast wait staff & maid service.

Room Tip: Upper floors facing away from traffic towards courtyard. Not much to look but who cares, you're...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Allaboutthecake
Brandi R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear Allaboutthecake,

Thank you for recently staying at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tacoma Downtown while you were in the Tacoma area. We appreciate you taking the time to complete a review.

Our neighborhood is growing and Tacoma is doing a great job in updating the area. We are a newer hotel and open in July 2013. We are excited for the changes that Tacoma has in the works regarding the empty run down warehouses by our location. We are glad that you felt safe keeping your rented Mustang in our secured garage and that our security ensured that it was safe.

We are also happy to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary Express Start breakfast. There were just some new updates to the breakfast. We love to hear that our housekeeping service gave you a great clean room without any hairs in your guest room and bathroom. We strive to ensure we give our rooms the best cleaning for all of our guests.

We are currently working on the exit of the driveway to have the shuttle and garbage moved because we agree this isn't the best for our guests to leave our hotel with this objects blocking your view of the street.

Thank you for all your feedback.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

Needed a reasonable, clean hotel in Tacoma for 3 nights.
Central to transit and walking distance to transit and small downtown centre and restaurants. Tacoma Dome withing walking distance.

Nice clean hotel. Staff extremely helpful and friendly.
The beds and pillows were great, best sleep ever.

Hotel is tucked away but convienent to transit. Breakfast selection offered was good, all we needed to get the day going. Tea, coffee, juices, oatmeal , fruit, yogurt, toast, muffins, bagels, scrambled eggs sausage and pancakes in a minute machine, never seen that before!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
Brandi R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2014

Dear KitKat_1955,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tacoma Downtown during your three nights in Tacoma, WA.

We love that we are a walking distance to the transit to help you get to center of downtown Tacoma, restaurants and museums.

Our complimentary breakfast has some updates per IHG standards. We now our offering turkey sausage, Greek yogurt, oatmeal topping bar, gluten free bagels and muffins and changes to our cold cereal selection.

We hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed May 1, 2014

I stayed here on business and was very impressed with the hotel staff and the entire facility. Sandra at the front desk was extremely friendly and helpful upon check in and went out of her way to accommodate my early check in.
The lobby, hallways and room were clean, bright and fresh as I would expect from a newer hotel.
As a frequent business traveler I am pretty particular on cleanliness and found nothing that did not meet my standards.
Should my travels bring me back to Tacoma, this is my first choice of accommodations. Well Done!!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Jim C

Dear Jim C,

Thank you staying at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tacoma Downtown. We are happy to hear that you liked our staff including Sandra whom helped you with a early check in.

We love that you loved our newer hotel and all that it has to offer.

We look forward to seeing you again when you travel back to Tacoma!

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Value
3 of 5 stars Location
5 of 5 stars Sleep Quality
5 of 5 stars Rooms
5 of 5 stars Cleanliness
5 of 5 stars Service

Reviewed May 1, 2014

The main problem I had was that every morning at around 6:30am I was awakened by a train horn. Yes a train horn. I had no idea the hotel was a block away from some sort of rail but yes it is and you will hear that horn every morning starting around 6:30am until when? I don't know because I usually left the hotel by 9:30am every day. I do know it is more than one train but after I was awakened by the first train, I drifted off and then another train...at least three times I know I was awakened but I never bothered to look at the times after the initial wake up. My room was clean and I enjoyed everything else but I kind of wish the hotel was sound proofed.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alisa C

Dear Alisa C,

Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tacoma Downtown. We apologize that the train by the freeway horn woke you up every morning of your stay. Please know if you stay with us again in the future we can do our best to put you at a different location of the hotel to ensure that the train horn doesn't wake you up. We do want our guests to have a good restful night of sleep while you are away from home.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Neat hotel. Superior cleanliness, comfortable bed, great pillows, wonderful service. My only complaint is outrageous pet "fee." I was hoping to pay $15 to $35, but $50 with $75 refundable deposit is too much. I paid $124 for the room itself. I wish that I was aware that this fee was as big because I would shop around for better rate. The fee increased the hotel room rate by almost 50% which a fee should never do. Expedia and the hotel managers should identify these fees upfront so this type of unpleasantness is avoided.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lejlawa
Brandi R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear lejlawa,

Thank you for recently staying at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tacoma Downtown. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the comfortable bed, pillows and service from our staff.

We do apologize that there were some issues with our pet fee and also the refundable deposit. We are in the process of making some changes to that policy and will ensure that all travel sites have correct information for all our guests whom book pet friendly rooms at our location.

Thank you for staying with us and we do hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed April 13, 2014

Stayed in April 2014, the shower curtain had huge clumps of hair on the inside, you couldn't miss it. There were no fridge or microwave in the room compared to other Holiday Inn Express. It was extremely noisy that night. I had zero sleep. Complained about hair as it was nasty. Just not impressed at all.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear mtskygirl,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please allow us to apologize for the issues you had with your room accommodations. It is regrettable that we fell below your expectations. We want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stayed here in December 2013 - I cannot think of a single thing I would improve. Staff were very helpful, and room was excellent value for the price paid. I would definitely stay here again if I return to Tacoma.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank TheButcher27
Brandi R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Dear TheButcher27,

Thank your staying with our hotel in December 2013. We are happy to hear that you feel that our staff was great and you received a great value to the price you paid. We hope to see you again when you are in Tacoma, Washington.

Take Care,