“Great Hotel for the price. Smells brand new!!!!”

Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown
Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Tacoma
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Normally, downtown hotels are overpriced and have outrageous parking prices. This place has free parking, free breakfast and smells brand new. The staff is super friendly and our stay wae excellent. I will defintely stay here again when im in Tacoma

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank John P
SeaTacHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear John P,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tacoma Downtown and for taking the time to write your review.

Complimentary parking is definitely a plus in our downtown location. I am glad to hear our staff was friendly and that you enjoyed your stay and our free Express Start breakfast buffet.

We hope you visit us again soon!

Vickie M., GM

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The hotel was obviously new - it was spotless and the room even smelt new. We had a 2 bed suite for a weekend while we were in town visiting Point Defiance Zoo. The room was excellent, beds were comfortable, the room was clean and the suite gave you some options - rather than just sitting on the bed watching TV. It was great to have the sitting area. The bathroom was really large - only down side was the fan in the bathroom didn't seem to work. Breakfast was the usual Holiday Inn Express breakfast - had just about something for everyone of us; nothing to really write home about but pretty good nevertheless. Area seemed a little run down but we didn't feel uncomfortable around there at all. Parking was good and hotel was easy to get to. All in all I'd highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SteveH250
SeaTacHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2013

Dear SteveH250,
Thank you for visiting us and for taking the time to write your review.

What a fun time it is at the Point Defiance Zoo. It's a local favorite too!

I apologize our fans are not very audible, but our system is centralized rather than controlled in the room. I will further explore how it might be possible to improve the air flow.

Our breakfast menu offers rotating hot entrees to ensure variety during your stay.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to Tacoma!

Vickie M., GM

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I reserved 2 suites for 1 night for a group of 9 adult friends. Upon check in we were given only 2 card keys per room. We were not offered any more or asked how many we would like. We were told we could park in the garage and take the elevator to the rooms from there and we were told where breakfast is. When we went to enter the parking garage we found a gate and pole with a black box on it that did not contain any instructions at all. We couldn't find a slot for the card to go in so we tried waving it around the box and nothing happened. I finally went back into the lobby to ask how to get in the garage and they said we needed to set the card on the black box front. That information would have been nice to know before we were out there. The instructions on the card are not that clear. It looks like you just swipe it past but you have to touch it on. We saw another patron having issues with her door too.

The room was wonderful! Very nice looking and comfortable. We had a suite so we had 2 beds and a living room area, plus a little kitchen type area with fridge and microwave. It even included a little sink with dish soap. Our bathroom DID have a bathtub. (I noticed other reviews stating no tub).

We had a difficult time with getting connected to the internet and staying connected. Part of that was inexperienced users too. One of my guests went to the front desk where they were happy to help her link up on her phone.

We were in town for an event at the trade and convention center which was a few blocks away. We were able to walk through a nice area where there is a university campus. Going that direction felt safe but the neighborhood overall was a mix of new and updated things with run down beat up buildings too. We did find it difficult to cross the street because while there is a crosswalk warning light system the cars don't always stop and it is on a hill too so it felt a bit dangerous. Not really the hotel's fault.

Normally when I have stayed in a hotel recently I wake up to an invoice on the floor inside the room in the morning. We did not get one here. That is also where I normally find check out instructions. We were never told what the check out procedure was. I called down and they said we did not need to go by the front desk and we could just leave our keys in the room.

The binder in the room didn't share this information either. We also thought maybe we could find dining information in the binder but did not.

Breakfast was fresh and tasty!

Overall this is a great hotel but they need to work on the little details that finish up the experience for the customer to prevent confusion and little frustrations. I wish I had taken pictures because it is really lovely. Another of the little details missing for this location that could make a huge difference for customers is to put actual pictures of the hotel on their website. I'm not interested in pictures of the city... I want to see the rooms, and the amenities!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank LDSmomof3
SeaTacHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear LDSmomof3,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your thoughtful review.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions. Our staff is eager to make each stay for every guest a memorable and pleasant experience and we will use your suggestions to improve!

We hope to see you again on your next trip to Tacoma.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

This hotel is new, however as a business traveler, there are a few things that I must have, that this hotel lacked, Reliable internet service, the wi fi signal was weak and I was unable to conect on both nights I was there.
I also had issues with the room key as it would not open the door to my room and when you have luggage, laptop bag, etc, the last thing you need is to struggle with your room door.
This hotel only has showers, so if you like or need a tub, you will be disapointed here.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank colombianfoodie

Dear columbianfoodie,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your review.

I apologize profusely for the lack of internet service during your 2-day stay. Our internet service-provider experienced a hardware failure that has since been resolved, but required them to wait for a new device to arrive. Our own equipment was affected as well which made for a very inconvenient time. Our internet service is generally very rapid and consistent--I hope you'll find this to be true if you stay with us in the future.

Our door locks are a little different from many you will find. They do not actually slide into a slot but rather you just touch the card to the lock to operate them, making them simpler than their older counterparts.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to the Tacoma area.

Best regards,

Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for one night because we were going to see a show at the Tacoma Dome. The hotel is very well located in downtown Tacoma, just about a block from the restaurants and maybe 2 blocks from Union Station. From there you can ride the "Link" for free (trolley) that will take you to the Dome within minutes!

The hotel is very very clean: lobby, room, breakfast room, etc. Nice covered parking lot (although the spots that were available were mostly for compact cars so that was not too easy but we were still able to find a spot for our car).

The room was really great, we had a good night sleep in a very comfortable bed and although we did hear footsteps above us in the afternoon, we were lucky enough not to hear anything during the night (or maybe we were just deaf from the concert! ha!)

Breakfast was good. No gravy for the sausage and biscuit though. :-/ it's ok, we survived :-)

Only thing that went "wrong" was the elevators: somebody apparently got stuck in the elevators and they were shut down for a while as the firemen were here. Not fun for the person inside.

I would recommend this hotel for anybody who wants an affordable way to spend the night after a show at the Dome.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank celinetmika

Dear celinetmika,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write your review--we appreciate your business!

You are so right, our location works very well for travelers attending events at the Tacoma Dome or the Greater Tacoma Convention & Trade Center. A quick walk or light rail ride to either is available within steps.

I am really glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we'll see you again on your next trip to Tacoma.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

A little difficult to find from the interstate but not real bad. The neighborhood leaves something to be desired as well. This hotel is on the edge of downtown and the immediate vicinity I guess is still undergoing revitalization. Due to this, the view from our room was a run-down building. On to the positive- Brand-new building! The room was large and clean with a comfy bed and pillows. The staff was friendly and helpful. The lack of a bathtub was surprising but not missed. The spacious walk-in shower was more useful. I also really liked the on-site secure parking. It meant we didn't get wet when it rained. A big bonus when you have to make multiple trips to the car to get all your luggage.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NicoleK945

Dear NicoleK945,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your review. I am glad to hear your stay was pleasant and that Holiday Inn Express & Suites is a brand you love!

Our new hotel is definitely in the heart of Tacoma downtown and the city's continuing revitalization efforts are improving the landscape and the feel of the area measurably.

We hope to see you on your next trip to the Tacoma area!

Vickie Molzer., GM

Reviewed September 25, 2013

For a Holiday Inn Express, the rooms are extremely spacious and well appointed. The parking is easy and convenient although seems like half the spaces were marked "compact only" The lobby was modern, spacious and comfortable with a separate room used for breakfast. A step up from your average Holiday Inn Express. As others have pointed out, it's on the edge of downtown surrounded by manufacturing and warehouses. Not a lot right outside the hotel, but good and easy road access.

My one concern is that the elevators seemed slow even with a hotel which I didn't think was particularly full based on parking garage and breakfast room. With a full hotel, elevators might be a bit of a wait.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jdwells67
SeaTacHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Jdwells67,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write your review.

I am glad you enjoyed our new hotel décor and design--we receive many compliments from our guests and our rooms are definitely spacious and designed for comfort! We offer a number of suites with additional living space and features as well.

I am sorry you experienced any delay with the elevators--they are typically prompt, although sometimes cyclical heavier traffic will increase wait times.

Our two floors of parking allow space for various size vehicles throughout the garage. Clearance is limited in height only to 6'8".

I hope you will visit us again when traveling to Tacoma!

V. Molzer, GM