“Great Rooms, Nice Lobby”

Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Tacoma
Reviewed September 25, 2013

For a Holiday Inn Express, the rooms are extremely spacious and well appointed. The parking is easy and convenient although seems like half the spaces were marked "compact only" The lobby was modern, spacious and comfortable with a separate room used for breakfast. A step up from your average Holiday Inn Express. As others have pointed out, it's on the edge of downtown surrounded by manufacturing and warehouses. Not a lot right outside the hotel, but good and easy road access.

My one concern is that the elevators seemed slow even with a hotel which I didn't think was particularly full based on parking garage and breakfast room. With a full hotel, elevators might be a bit of a wait.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jdwells67
SeaTacHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Jdwells67,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write your review.

I am glad you enjoyed our new hotel décor and design--we receive many compliments from our guests and our rooms are definitely spacious and designed for comfort! We offer a number of suites with additional living space and features as well.

I am sorry you experienced any delay with the elevators--they are typically prompt, although sometimes cyclical heavier traffic will increase wait times.

Our two floors of parking allow space for various size vehicles throughout the garage. Clearance is limited in height only to 6'8".

I hope you will visit us again when traveling to Tacoma!

V. Molzer, GM

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I will admit that the neighborhood is in a changing old commercial area, however, for our purposes, this was not a concern. We walked to a restaurant a few blocks away at 9:00 PM and I never felt uneasy. The hotel is new, new, new and spacious. It has high end finishes and beautiful décor. The reception staff were great. The beds were comfy, towels ample and shower the "best". I appreciated the covered 2nd floor parking and great business center. Of all the Inns we stayed at during our trip, this was definitely the best value.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smurfnmoms

Dear smufnmoms,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your business.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your visit with our friendly staff as well as the hotel's business center and covered parking. Our guests make all of us on staff strive to do the best we can to ensure your stay with us is comfortable and pleasant.

Visit us again soon!

V Molzer., GM

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights this past week. Hotel was new, nice, clean and the rooms were spacious and comfortable. My only concern was the location. The neighborhood is very "sketchy" with a lot of homeless/transient people milling about in the area. I would never walk out of the hotel at night in this neighborhood! Someone was living in a car parked on the street behind the hotel. Most disturbing was when I walked to my car to leave the "secure" parking area early one morning and saw a man squatting down in front of my car defecating. Not a pleasant sight and rather alarming. Not the hotel's fault that transients are using their parking lot as a bathroom, but perhaps they need to install cameras or security personnel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Rae K
SeaTacHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Rae K,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your review.

I apologize that you encountered such an unpleasant circumstance in our parking garage. As you suggested, we do already have cameras throughout the entire property as well as security personnel on staff 24 hours per day. We, unfortunately, are not always able to predict exactly where and when such erratic behavior may occur.

Our guests' safety, security and comfort are our first priority and we will continue to take preventive measures to ensure this type of activity ceases.

We are so pleased to be a part of the heart of downtown as it is rapidly re-developing into a vibrant social, educational and cultural destination.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Good location, great staff, room was perfect - loved the bathroom - very spacious. The shower was huge - there was no bathtub (which we never use), so it was nice to not have to climb over the side of a bathtub to take a shower. Would be especially nice/safer for people who might be unsteady. We walked alot from the hotel - to downtown, to breakfast etc. Would absolutely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear sdelc,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your room and your stay!

It's nice to know you were able to enjoy our recent sunny weather to get out and see our city!
Our new hotel is within walking distance of many of downtown Tacoma's attractions, businesses and restaurants We are also very close to the light rail line and train & bus stations for other quick and economical transportation around Tacoma and the South Puget Sound area.

If your travels bring you back to Tacoma, we hope to see you again then.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stay in this new hotel for only 1 night but we wish it would have been for more. Very pleasently suprised at how nice the room was. Very large and very comfortable. Very nicely appointed, great colors - relaxing. Very nice front desk staff, polite and efficient. Would stay here again over and over. secure parking included.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mannab22

Dear Mannab22,

Thank you for staying with us and for your kind review.

I am so glad to hear you felt relaxed and comfortable during your stay and that our staff was both polite and efficient. Many of our guests have commented on how much they love our new décor.

We hope to see you (and that you get to stay a little longer) on your next trip to Tacoma!

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here while dropping our daughter off at college. The elevator was an issue (only one of two were working), and the neighborhood was better than it looked at first glance. Off-street parking was free, and it was easy walking distance to some nice restaurants. The service was well above average. We booked a room with two doubles, but got a king instead. When I told check-in that we needed a bed for our daughter for the first night, they booked as into a king suite (with fold-out bed) at no extra charge. When requested, they came up to set up the fold-out bed. Breakfast was above average. One of best experiences at a Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kms4774
SeaTacHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear kms4774,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay in the king suite as well as our service. All of our suites are equipped with microwaves and refrigerators and double size sofa sleepers for added comfort and convenience.

Our staff is dedicated to welcoming our guests warmly and helping whenever we may be of assistance.

We hope to see you on your next trip to Tacoma!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

The hotel had no working elevator and they put me on the 7th floor. The most ridiculous aspect of this situation was that the hotel hasn't timely applied for their elevator permit. The elevator was working but they couldn't run it! Wth?! ADA violation much? I had had surgery on my foot and leg 2 months prior and having to go up and down 7 flights of stairs a dozen times over 3 days made my leg and got sore for over a week after my stay.

Once I climbed the 7 floors to my room and had gotten settled in, I went out for food and came back to a sauna! The air conditioning in my room wasn't working. I had to move rooms.

On top of all of this, I was taking my bar exam and had no time to call hotels.com to explain the situation. I had booked through them. I callee hotels.com after my stay and they refused to help me in any way in getting a partial refund from the hotel.

Of course, when I asked the hotel for a refund, I was flat out denied. What a wonderful bar exam experience..... NOT.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank dweitmann
SeaTacHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2013

Dear dweitmann,

Thank you for staying with us last month and for your review. I am so sorry you were inconvenienced during your stay with air conditioning repair and our temporary delay in elevator service during July. We have resolved both matters and are grateful for your understanding.

For future reservations, we hope you will consider contacting the hotel directly or booking the most economical and flexible rate available on our Holiday Inn Express brand website. We guarantee the lowest rate available and we are always able to assist with changes and adjustments as necessary when you book directly with us. I am sorry that the option chosen was less flexible and would be happy to assist you with a flexible reservation and a rate that offers some compensation for your less than satisfactory experience the next time you plan to stay in Tacoma.