“New and Nice”

Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Portland, Oregon
“New and Nice”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

The hotel is new and very nice. Comfortable beds, plenty of room. The bathroom has a nice size shower, no tub, which worked for us. The staff was very helpful and offered assistance with everything we needed. The few drawbacks I had was, it was hard to find, not your usual Holiday Inn Express, don't look for a sign, just look for the cross street. Also, the parking. I usually drive a bigger Chevy pick up which would not fit in their parking garage, limited to about 6'6". The breakfast selection was a bit slim for what HIE usually has, maybe because it's so new? Only one of the two elevators worked which made it a longer wait especially in the morning when we were leaving. Overall, I would recommend this location and would definitely stay again, I'm sure things will work themselves out over time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
SeaTacHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear John D,

Thank you for staying with us and for your thoughtful review. We appreciate your suggestions and comments which help us improve our service and amenities, such as our complimentary breakfast.

Our complimentary parking is covered and the clearance level on floors 2 and 3 is 6'8" high. For larger vehicles, free parking is also available in front of our hotel during your stay. I apologize for the temporary interruption in our elevator service as we awaited our final inspections.

If you visit our area again, we hope to see you then!

Best regards,
Vickie M., GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The location in downtown Tacoma is excellent and being new, the rooms are very clean. Its greatest asset are the staff, who though spread thin and very green continue to be very kind and helpful as they attempt their best to fix the problems of this recently opened hotel. corporate should give each one of them a bonus for having to explain why things were wrong or weren't working. I hope the staff doesn't burn out via having to explain and apologize, for I noted I wasn't the only one at the desk .... It would be nice to work somewhere were one could have pride - Don't think the owner's of this place do or they wouldn't of left it running so thinly. As I said, it's clean and close, wonderful staff, which is what may save them if they ever become more.... organized. Reservation, billed for 2 nights only asked for one - asked for 2 queens bed received a king and couch that I had to make up- the room temp was set at 77. The AC only works if there is motion in the room hence it would be warm t/o the night as I had to inform them - When asked for another room told there weren't any and so on...Hope corporate helps these hard working folks out - really they should be ashamed of themselves!!!! This was my 86 year old mother last visit to Tacoma, they made did make it memorable ;) BKF is pretty processed and Coffee not up to PNW standards~ Again, can't say enough about the staff........WOW lots of work to do~

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Moynihan425
Dear Moynihan425,

Thank you so much for staying with us at our new Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tacoma Downtown and also for your very kind words about our responsive and friendly staff. We are very proud to be a part of this community.

We are working through our few temporary new-construction inconveniences to provide our guests with a comfortable, clean, friendly and enjoyable experience. I appreciate you bringing the items we may improve upon to my attention. We take your suggestions and use them to better train our staff and improve our product.

We hope to see you again on your next trip to the Tacoma area!

San Jose, California
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This hotel clearly is recently remodeled or renovated, and it shows. The rooms are big, including the bathrooms. The rooms are well-appointed and the beds are comfortable. There's a decent amount of closet space. Air conditioning is surprisingly quiet for wall-mount units. The staff is friendly and helpful. Common areas are well-decorated and very pleasant.

Parking is included, as is breakfast. Breakfast is eggs, sometimes bacon, pancakes, cereal, pastries, coffee, tea, and juice, as well as yogurt.

There's a pool; can't say that I checked to see if there's a fitness center.

In general, I was very pleasantly surprised. I've certainly paid a lot more for a lot less. I would happily stay here again.

If it matters to you that your soap is wrapped in cardboard, rather than plastic; or that you drink from a glass rather than a plastic cup, then you should stay elsewhere. But if those aren't deal-breakers you should seriously consider this Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SeaTacHIExpress, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Tacoma Downtown, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear SJOWG,

Thank you for your positive review and thank you for staying with us--we appreciate your business.

You are correct--we are brand new and opened our doors just one month ago today. We do have a fitness center on our 4th floor, open 24 hours with free weights and three types of cardio available. I am glad you had the opportunity to try our hot breakfast buffet with a variety of menus each week.

We hope to host you on your next trip to Tacoma!

Vickie M, GM
Avondale, Arizona
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

The staff & room was great. One elevator was broke needs to be fixed though. I was only here for a short time but I would stay here again in the future. Overall great stay & experience :). I would recommend to my friends & family to stay here.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear travelermanPhoenix,

Thank you for staying with us!

I am glad you enjoyed your visit and that you took the time to share your review of our hotel.

We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Tacoma!

Eagle, Idaho
Reviewed August 6, 2013

You've got to be kidding!? An 8 story hotel with no functioning elevator? My company booked me here before the elevators were working. It's a brand new hotel. Beautiful. Bed had never been slept in. But it got old walking up and down the stairs- with my luggage.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Steven C,

Our elevators are in service!

I am so very sorry for the inconvenience during the first portion of your stay due to our temporary delay in our opening inspection. I am so glad you enjoyed the many other attributes of our brand new hotel.

We look forward to your next stay with us!

Vickie M, GM
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed August 3, 2013

We just stayed at this new hotel (not even open a month yet) on August 1st. It was easy to find, and had a wonderful lobby. Both guest service agents greeted us and were very helpful and personable. The parking requires a key card for access - nice security. The elevator worked well, and we were upgraded to a king suite. We had a nice view of the Tacoma Dome to one side, and the docks and city of Tacoma in front of us - we found it a very interesting view. Everything in the room was lovely and comfortable - the AC worked well, the room was quiet, and the bathroom well appointed with a great shower. Our breakfast was great, as usual at Express hotels, with a very spacious breakfast room. All in all, I would definitely recommend this hotel and we'll stay again when we are in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Hotelgalvancouver,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us in Tacoma and we look forward to seeing you again.

Thank you for your stay and for sharing your review on TripAdvisor--we appreciate it!

Best regards,
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I just stayed at the new Holiday Inn Express in Downtown Tacoma that has only been open a few days, while taking care of some business at the Port. Upon check in, I was made aware that the elevator was temporarily out of service, but the folks at the desk immediately offered many different ways of overcoming this slight inconvenience. Parking is available on the second or third floor so the trip to my room only lasted for two flights of stairs. The room was spacious, from the large desk area, large windows (Mt Rainier was out in all its glory), king size bed, and finely stocked bathroom. The room was extremely clean and the bed was comfortable, I needed a good night’s sleep and that is what I got. The next morning after my date with the fitness center, I went down to the Breakfast room, which is very large, roomy, and pleasant. The Breakfast offered healthy options along with the eggs and those wonderful cinnamon rolls. What I liked best about this Holiday Inn Express is that I felt safe, the property was exceptionally clean, and I felt sincerely welcomed from the minute I walked in until I checked out.

Great Location and I will be back.

Room Tip: My east side room had a fantastic view.