“Great breakfast, outstanding service”

Homestead Restaurant & Bakery
Ranked #215 of 761 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Went in for breakfast on a whim. The immediate impression as you walk in the door is not great. Dingy, and with a smell of "old," the building is sorely in need of a renovation.

With that being said, I was immediately seated and waited upon. Waitress was polite and extremely efficient. Food was out in minutes. Breakfast was great, although the hash browns were slightly undercooked (for my taste).

Good place to go, would highly recommend for breakfast.

There are newer reviews for Homestead Restaurant & Bakery

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Homestead is a big family-style restaurant serving hearty meals. We wanted a good breakfast without getting too far off the I-5. Homestead fit the bill. It is a couple of minutes off the I-5, making it a good option to the over-priced places beside the freeway.

Service started out good. Coffee, water and menus arrived quickly and with a smile. After we ordered things fell off the rails a bit. It took a long time for the food to come. That was frustrating since we were on the road and wanted to keep moving. Most customers seemed to be regulars in no hurry to get anywhere, so maybe that's the pace the kitchen works at.

Breakfasts were all about $10. Our table sampled a wide variety including pancakes (actually thin crepe-style), ham and gravy on a biscuit, omelettes and eggs and hash browns. Portions were huge. Everything was delicious. We didn't try the fresh baked cinnamon buns but they looked mouth-watering.

Good food, good portions, friendly. Just be sure to tell them if you're in a rush.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Homestead hasn't changed much over the years - their strength is still their breakfast menu ... the lunch and dinner is pretty standard "diner" fare. I do have to say though, their Liver & Onion dinner is about the best in the area. So, during the breakfast hours, the restaurant can be packed, and their dinner hours you could be the only one in the restaurant (which has little to do with their menu items or service, there's not much traffic in this part of town after 6 or 7 PM).

The friendly, efficient and prompt service is pretty consistent (my wife & I have come here once a week since the early 1990's). The food is home-style; hearty, yet in healthy portions (in other words they don't waste food). Their prices are pretty standard for the area.

The ambience is casual with a flare to country & western (even the background music tend to be the 1950, 60 & 70's country & western music; Hank William, Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, etc). Given the decor & the layout of the restaurant, it can be considered dark inside.

Overall, Homestead is a restaurant for the locals ... reliable, consistent and affordable meals.

1  Thank treerod1
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Occupants come and go in the Homestead, a barnlike structure across the street from Lakewood's B & I shopping center. The Homestead is like a Denny's Black Angus; comfort diner food. The wood is dark and everywhere, the booths relatively private, and the music is heavy on country classics like Johnny Cash and Mel Tillis.
The driveway is easy to miss and it's so sharp, nearly everyone misses it the first time. Look for a big barn sandwiched between car lots. The side lot is narrow, but there's a big lot in the back.
So size it up. If there's only a half dozen cars, stay. The comfort food is excellent, and if you order dinner, you can get a slice of banana cream or coconut cream pie included. The coatings are not too greasy but satisfying; this is the perfect place to order a chicken fried steak or something alone those lines.
If it's crowded, keep going. I recommend Carr's which is not that far away - if their service has gone to hell too, at least you'll get much larger portions. If you stay, be warned this place does not scale well. I had to get up three times to get wait staff attention; the last time i stuck my head into the food prep area, it looked like the overwhelmed waitresses were doing some of the cooking. The food was uneven; with the eggs benedict, the ham was thick and tasty, but the muffin wasn't toasted and the sauce was runny. I gave up trying to get a dessert with my dinner and when the check arrived, it was for the wrong meal; but it was close enough, so we paid it and got out. We'll definitely be back for very early dinners or off hours, though - I'm not kidding, it's good comfort food when they have time for you. .

Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I noticed that the parking lot was always full, so we decided to try it out. The food and service was amazing. The atmosphere was great and the staff was friendly. It was so clean, even the bathroom. We were delighted by every minute of our experience. Looking forward to going again! Hopefully sooner than later!

1  Thank M3agan