“Best view in town!”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Best view in town!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

The only downside to this place is it had a very mixed atmosphere from the bait and tackle place, train depot, and the boat marina. Beside the downsides it's a great place to enjoy the weather and also it's a great place even if it's raining!!

Puyallup, Washington
“A disappointment”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

We needed to meet a professional couple for an early dinner meeting and chose the Boathouse 19 mostly based on the fact that it was part of the Lobster Shop Family of Restaurants. It has a great location, on Puget Sound with full view of the Narrows Bridges and Fox Island. It was a bit hard to find based on Google maps though, even for a Tacoma native like me. The menu is extensive, but the service is not anything like the Lobster Shop. There is no complimentary bread or chips to eat while we enjoyed the view and perused the menu. Even though we arrived during happy hour, a skimpy plate of garlic bread was $5. Our guests ordered the fish tacos, but the serving size wasn't sufficient for young marrieds. I had the Crab and shrimp Louie, which was small- just enough for a mature citizen like me, but not for my husband. We had to have dessert later at home. The quality of the food wasn't remarkable, like I expected from the Lobster Shop. The restaurant was noisy, too, making it hard for us to visit. I'd go again for lunch or to sit on the deck on a nice day for the view, but don't go expecting a very nice restaurant for a romantic evening or for an important business meeting.

Lakewood
“View Is Great”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

This restaurant is located within a working marina and offers spectacular views of the Tacoma
Narrows Bridge, the water in the south Puget Sound, and the comings and goings of boats at the marina. Building is modern, pleasant with lots of glass for the view. On warm, sunny days most customers sit outside in the large patio area filled with umbrella tables. I have eaten there three times, once inside and twice outside. Every time I (and those I was with) were disappointed by the extremely long waits to order and then receive our food. The menu is pretty limited: sandwiches, salads, burgers, fish and chips, etc. For the price, the food is pretty mediocre and portions are small. My $9 order of tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich was a small cup and what looked like toasted white sandwich bread. My husband's order of salmon salad was a small rectangle of fish on a few pieces of lettuce without any bread/crackers. I think it was about $16. Go to Boathouse 19 for the views but NOT for the service or the food.

• Visited June 2014
“on the water and great!”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

This place feels tucked away, but is easy to get to, on the water down the hill from Bridgeport way and 19th. A brewery is next door, you can take food from Boathouse 19 over there if you like. Everything I've eaten here has been very good. The Cajun fries are particularly addictive. One caveat...........the building is a bit barny, so it can be noisy. Service is good and so are the prices.

Visited February 2014
Columbia, Missouri
“So close, but not quite”
Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

I go here a lot when I'm in UP, my hometown. You cannot beat the ambience; that said, I'm always thinking they could raise the bar, and make the place something very special. They have plenty of regulars, and they appear to do well as a business. I'm guessing that this is why the folks who run the kitchen are happy to leave well enough alone. THAT may be what grates on my mind a bit, the fact that they have the locals over a barrel, and don't think they deserve any better, or something. If it were MY place, I'd want to up the ante, and give UP its first James Beard award. So, chef, I'm calling you out. You have access to the finest array of ingredients in the world, you could do a lot more with what is readily at hand. THAT said, I'll still be there when I want a nice whiskey on the glorious deck. I'll order the clams, too, feeling only a little disappointed.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Scott C

Been to Boathouse 19? Share your experiences!