“A real gem in the Pacific NW”

LeMay - America's Car Museum
Ranked #2 of 81 things to do in Tacoma
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: LeMay - America's Car Museum (ACM), named one of USA Today's 10 Best Museums in Seattle and KING 5's 2014 & 2015 Best Museum in Western Washington, is an international destination where families and enthusiasts gather to celebrate America's love affair with the automobile and how it shaped our society. The stunning, four-level, 165,000-sq.-ft. Tacoma, Wash., facility features 12 rotating exhibits, five annual Signature Events and serves as an educational center, hosting students of all ages.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This museum has something for everyone, not just car enthusiasts. I really enjoyed the British Invasion exhibit's pop culture references, quotes and artwork. What a unique way to illustrate the impact British culture, cars and music had on America during the '60s. This is more than simply an auto museum.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Our son took my husband and I here and I was pleasantly surprised. I found it very nostalgic to see some of these cars as my dad used to have a few. I'm by no means a car buff and thought I'd probably be bored but I was wrong. The building is amazing also with multiple levels. Just when you think you've seen the last floor there's one more waiting. They even had a replica of Fred Flinstones car! Parking was a bit of a hassle and we had to circle the lot once but that was the only negative.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

Works of art around every corner. Wow! The history of cars in front of your eyes. Do not miss this Museum.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

This is certainly one of the best Auto Museums I have been to. The collection rotates so there will always be something new. The admission is reasonable ($12.00 for seniors). $5.00 to park is a bit irritating, but not a big deal.

My only nit is that of the entire exhibit, only one car was displayed with the hood open. Cars with special interest engines should be displayed hood up.

Reviewed July 4, 2012

If you enjoy cars for their artistry, engineering, and excitement (not to mention their social possibilities), this is a great collection. Mounted in an innovative, expansive space (most of which is under ground), it's part of the New Tacoma and a good inclusion in your tour of the area.

Dusenbergs! Ferrari's! Indy 500 classics! And my family's ancient station wagon! It's a good chance you'll be able to find a car you knew in your youth. If you ARE a youth, you might see the possibilities of a car that will excite your friends. With the Maker revolution upon us, the ability to custom-make a car (as was done in the 30's and 40's) will soon return, so your design will make you or break you on the street. Here you can find inspiration.

Since the museum proclaims its desire to be a destination three or four times a year, it's going to need to come up with some innovative displays. I'd suggest some on engineering, given the youthful interest and the vast ignorance of how power gets to the ground and becomes speed. Women, on the other hand, might be interested in how coachwork can be done and redone. Decorating on the road! Hope it all works out -- this could be a signature stop in North America.