“lots to see”

Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
Ranked #10 of 84 things to do in Tacoma
More attraction details
Owner description: Treat your family to a special day at Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium. Where else can you see seahorses and sharks, peacocks and penguins, wolves and walrus, all in one place? The 29-acre Zoo is large enough to offer an awesome array of animals yet small enough to let you get really close to them. Our keepers often roam the grounds, taking animals on strolls so you can see them up close. Who knows? You might run into a lynx on your way to see the polar bears! Be sure to visit Kids Zone. This fanciful exhibit engages children in active learning through play. The focus is on fun, movement and learning what animals need to thrive.The breathtaking views of Puget Sound, Mount Rainier and the Olympic Mountains are free - and so is the parking. So what are you waiting for? Bring your family to see ours. Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is open at 9:30 a.m. daily. Closing times vary. Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium is just minutes off of I-5 in beautiful Point Defiance Park in Tacoma, WA.
Reviewed September 22, 2012

love this zoo & aquarium! There's so much to see, plan to spend the day there. The animal shows are a real treat to watch. The variety of animals here is amazing. Just wish they had a safari so I could see the giraffes

All reviews
in 66 reviews
"tiger"
in 70 reviews

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We like this zoo. It's not huge, not my favorite by far and there's nothing about it that I just LOVE, but we always have a good time there. I enjoy the Zoolights at Christmas time too :)

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Pt Defiance is my family's favorite zoo. We are members and go frequently. The grounds are clean. The animals are active and appear content and happy.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Had never been to this zoo before. Decided to get there as it opened because we didn't know how busy it would be. My advice is to buy your tickets online and you save about $2.50 a ticket. Although it was a fun day, we had seen everything by 1 pm after arriving at about 9 am. The Polar bears and Sharks were definitely fun to see and recommended. If we had paid any more than we did I would say not worth the money, but the price was ok. The aquarium is not that big and being I had never been here before I had expectations that weren't fulfilled. Overall a nice day. Recommended to bring food as zoo food can be expensive.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 19, 2012

They have done such a great job to update and renovate this zoo. If you haven't been lately, GO AGAIN... it's worth it. The breeding program for many of the animals practically ensures there are some babies around, and who doesn't love baby animals, anyway??? The Asian sanctuary is gorgeous, and they have designed it so they can put various animals in the exhibits so you never know what you'll find where, interacting with what other animals. The aquarium is in need of updating, but I think they are planning on that soon. The red wolf exhibit is awesome. Brand new, and the zoo is practially the sole reason this species has come off the endangered list. Very educational and informative zoo. Very hands on and friendly.