“Would have been better if major gallery was not closed.”
Review of Museum of Glass

Museum of Glass
Ranked #4 of 82 things to do in Tacoma
More attraction details
Owner description: An international center for contemporary art with a sustained focus on glass.
Reviewed October 19, 2010

The outside sculptures and the Chihuly Brdige of Glass kept the trip from being a total letdown. We arrived to find out that most of the Museum was closed, after we had already paid our admission. We felt like we had been duped. If most of the museum was closed they should have only charged us half the price, not just taken a few dollars off.

There are newer reviews for Museum of Glass

Reviewed September 5, 2010

The Museum of Glass is really quite the sight to see. The exhibits are beautiful and the glass blowing observation area is really interesting to watch. When I visited they had an exhibit where they had kids draw a creature and they recreated each piece into glass. That was probably my favorite section. The sky bridge also has glass pieces all over and there is a really cool outdoor water and glass piece. Parking and getting there is as easy as it gets. I would suggest making a day trip to Tacoma and visiting the Museum of Glass as well as the Washington State History Museum as they are directly across from each other. I think this museum is definitely kid friendly as well.

Reviewed August 22, 2010

Walk over the interesting Bridge of Glass from Pacific Avenue and see the metallic cone of the Museum of Glass Hot Spot Workshop rise up in front of you. The workshop is a purpose built audience space in a working glass blowing area. We saw a team of glass blowers make a piece for a visiting artist to decorate later, with great music and a commentary from a senior glass blower. Fascinating – we stayed quite a while to watch the glass piece come to life. In the exhibition area we saw stunning pieces by Preston Singletary, a Native American who interprets traditional culture and designs and has collaborated with a Maori artist from New Zealand. Highly recommended. There is parking behind the museum, or short-time spaces on Pacific Avenue. We had lunch at A Renaissance Café on Pacific Avenue – excellent soup and sandwiches and a unique atmosphere. Date of visit: 12th August 2010.

Reviewed August 11, 2010

The Museum of Glass is located in downtown Tacoma, just a short jog over from I-5 on I-705. There is plenty of parking, but it is $2.50 per hour under the Museum. Admission if $12 for an adult, $10 for a senior, and $5 for a child (6-12).

The architecture of the Museum is very nice from the exterior. There are 3 outdoor glass displays: the "Chihuly Bridge of Glass", the "Water Forest", and the "Fluent Steps". All of these outdoor exhibits are really very nice. I'd actually like to see them all at night too, but time prevented me.

There are 3 galleries in the museum with (I believe) rotating exhibits. On my visit they had "Kids Design Glass". Basically, little children draw pictures of imagined creatures, and the museum's glass blowing team then made these pictures into glass sculptures. Cute, but not my cup of tea. The second gallery had glass sculptures by Preston Singletary of northwest native american art: masks, shaman rattles, bent boxes, etc.. Very clever and beautiful, but the main medium for this sort of art is wood. The final gallery had works by Richard Craig Meitner. This stuff was again clever, but again, not my cup of tea.

The real highlight of the visit is to watch the blowing of glass in their small amphitheater. When I was there, they had a visiting artist making flowers while the "hot shop" jocks made vases for the artist to attach her flowers. They had a nice narrator, close-up cameras, and a big projector screen to follow the action.

The Museum has a store, a cafe with good food, and a theater. I didn't watch the films in the theater, but saw that they related to the current exhibits.

I would rate the museum as about average (probably best for real glass aficionados). First, there are numerous hot shops in the NW - go to the "Glass House" in Seattle's Occidental Square for example. Hence, their amphitheater is not particularly unique. Second, they don't have a gallery related to the development and history of glass. Third, they don't have a gallery of masterpieces.

2  Thank pabl01neum
Reviewed July 29, 2010

We were literally blown away by this great museum. We loved the Hot Shop where the glass is produced before your eyes with commentary and video. We also loved the glass pieces made from children's art. The Bridge of Glass and the outdoor sculptures added to the experience. There is always a different artist on display and we were fortunate to see the Preston Singletary exhibit. This is worth a special trip to Tacoma.

Been to Museum of Glass? Share your experiences!