“Less Than I Expected”
Review of Museum of Glass

Museum of Glass
Ranked #4 of 79 things to do in Tacoma
More attraction details
Owner description: An international center for contemporary art with a sustained focus on glass.
Yuba City, CA
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Less Than I Expected”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I've loved glass art of all types since I was a child. Seattle has many glass artists creating beautiful things. When I found out that there was a museum in Tacoma devoted exclusively to glass art, I decided to dedicate our last day of a Seattle vacation to visiting Tacoma and the Museum of Glass.

It was less than I expected. There were two galleries, which we quickly went through. I saw more variety of glass art in the glass shops in Seattle than I did in the Museum of Glass. The guards discouraged picture-taking. The Hot Shop was packed with visitors, and I saw an artist make a glass horse, but there was no explanation of what was going on in the process. We purchased some overpriced grilled ham and cheese sandwiches in the museum cafe.

I spent several hours traveling to Tacoma on public transportation, plus $22 for admission ($12 for me and $10 for my teen-ager), and ended up vastly disappointed. I was enchanted by the Bridge of Glass and the outdoor sculptures. Nearby Union Station had a window with glass art inserts. Frankly, if I could do it over again, I'd visit the Bridge of Glass, the outdoor glass sculptures, and spend the rest of the day browsing the antique row of Tacoma -- and skip the interior of the Museum of Glass altogether.

• Korean first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Not much to see, but worth the visit if you're interested in a traditional craft.”
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Truthfully we stopped because my friend and I were interested in the exterior cone-like structure of the building. Neither of us could fathom what it had to do with glass, but the setting and the idea were interesting and the building was stylish. I am very glad we did.

Although the actual *museum* portion of the attraction seemed small, the exhibits were well curated and quite interesting. On display while we were there was an collaboration by two artists half a globe apart - a recreation of the landscape concept. The beauty of this work was breathtaking and ground breaking. Perhaps the highlight of the museum portion was the showroom of children's pieces created in conjuction with the muesum. The fanciful and often insightful works were fun to see.

Additionally, there is a constant workshop collaboration between the museum and visiting artists. The cone structure was the heat funnel for the workshop, and actually houses a theater setting where muesum guests can witness works being made by the artists and muesum professionals. What a valuable learning tool for anyone wanting to know more about glasscraft!

Spokane, Washington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We parked near the Tacoma Dome (free parking) and took the Light Rail over to the bridge that connects to the Museum of Glass. As you walk over the bridge, it contains its own exhibit of glass- amazing! I went with my husband who wasn't initially too excited, but ended up really enjoying the museum. We started off watching the glassblowers & visiting artist, which was really interesting. We liked the variety of the glass pieces on display and the art based on kids' drawings & the clear glass forest were so cool! Another thing that we liked was that we were able to get through the museum in a reasonable amount of time vs. being overwhelmed by too much art. It was just the right amount to be able to appreciate what was there.

Napa, California
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 200 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
Reviewed August 1, 2011

First let me just say that I did not go inside of the Museum. I had too much fun outside taking photos and did not really care to see how they were making the pieces.
A group of us pulled up on boats and docked at the Tacoma Harbor. Our walk up was short and through the dock gate. I loved the outside sculptures sitting in the water. The Chihuly Bridge of Glass had interesting pieces that kept me entertained trying to figure out what everything was. I will be back to take night photos.
There is a fee to get inside (I believe it's $12) but none for the outside which I thought was a great deal.
I have attached photos. Not the best shots I ever took but I did want to give you an idea of what it looks like. Highly recommended if you are in downtown Seattle!

Visited July 2011
1 Thank WorldWanderer99
Jerusalem, Israel
209 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 262 helpful votes
“Worth an hour of your time - not expensive”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We are major Chihuly fans and since his workshop isn't open to the public the next best is the Tacoma Museum of Glass. There isn't much to see at all in terms of exhibits and little of this is by Chihuly. But we sat in on a demonstration in the hot shop of a local artist making glass designs - it was fascinating. The Chihuly Bridge of Glass that you have to cross to access the Museum of Glass is more than worth the effort. Afterwards walk around the museum by the waterside - the setting is excellent at least on a cloudless sunny day which is what we had. And all this for $12 per person - certainly worthwhile. Parking around the museum is epensive so we recommend free parking at Tacoma Dome and then take the Tacoma Light Rail Link. When we got there about midday the Dome carpark was full but after driving around for 10 minutes we found free street parking in a downtown sidestreet a mile from the Musuem.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank golouis99

Been to Museum of Glass? Share your experiences!