WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma - Waterfront

Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma - Waterfront
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Berkeley, California
“Great Location, Good Room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

The location on the water and near restaurants can't be beat. The bathroom is small and the rooms are not light filled but the views of Commencement Bay are terrific. Try to get a room facing the Bay. You can walk to 6 or 7 good fish restaurants. Duke's is our favorite. The breakfast is OK, the breakfast room is lovely and the hotel employees are wonderful. We need to travel to Tacoma a few times a year and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Get a room on Commencement Bay.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Carolyn C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had an unexpected layover in Tacoma and needed a place to stay. A local suggested Silver Cloud and glad we took them up on the suggestion. We were wrapping up an extended visit in the wilds of WA and had to unwind and repack everything. Silver Cloud offered a wonderful reprieve. Quiet/ comfortable rooms (even with a wedding party) and we even had the chance to do a load of laundry at the on-site laundry room. Breakfast buffet was plentiful and enjoyed a brief walk along the waterfront. Only "issue" is the cramped covered parking area-larger vehicles need to "squeeze" in a bit.

1 Thank lv2travelVirginia
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

We enjoyed staying in Tacoma and found this hotel a great beginning to our trip. We were in a waterfront suite, which was very comfortable and had a great view of the bay.
It was in close proximity to several restaurants,& the glass museum.
The breakfast was less than mediocre.

Room Tip: I'd recommend a suite over a standard room
1 Thank loradan
Spokane Valley
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have never experienced such lack of sleep in all of my travels. The walls were paper thin at this Silver Cloud. My room was a first floor handicapped room that felt like it was IN the lobby surrounded by train traffic all night and crashing dishes early in the morning. I could hear all the loud activity in the lobby, in the room next door and in the kitchen. I tossed and turned all night listening to far too much noise. At one point I got up looking for water. The water pitcher in the lobby was empty. The front desk attendant told me I could purchase water on another floor. I found my own water, then still awake at 5a, talked to the gal at the front desk again. It was impossible to sleep due to all the banging dishes in the morning. She was very thoughtful and eager to help, but suggested the manager could help me at 7a. I had hoped to talk to the manager before I headed south to Olympia but she arrived shortly after 7a, just as I was walking out the front door. I needed to get to my meeting. I left her my card and asked her to call me. I still have not heard from anyone. I must note that the location of my room was the largest setback. I was there for just a short time in the dark hours of the night, hoping for a rest before a big meeting. Perhaps if I could have been there during daylight hours, on a different floor, I could have enjoyed this hotel more.

Room Tip: AVOID the first floor near the lobby, kitchen and train.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank LahFam
DanOLeary, General Manager at Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma - Waterfront, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear LahFam,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Silver Cloud Inn Tacoma. I am very sorry that your stay was not a restful one. I am also concerned to hear that our desk agent did not offer to refill the water pitcher in the lobby for you when you found it empty. I will address this common sense remedy with all our agents so this inconvenience will not affect others.

It is very important to us that all of our guests experience the same good night’s rest in all of our guest rooms. We use all comments as we evaluate was to improve our product, services and procedures. If you wish to discuss any additional details of your stay I would be happy to discuss them with you. Please contact me at the hotel directly.

Dan O’Leary
Torrance, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights 9/13-16 and loved it. Location seems far away from things but its not (easy freeway access). The room was nicely appointed and as everyone says, the views are fantastic. Breakfast was good. Not a lot of choices but all were delicious. Some people mentioned train noise but it never bothered us. Realized on the second day that we were given a different room type that we booked (Travelocity problem) but front desk manager had no problem adjusting the rate because the room we had for just fine. Can't wait for out next trip to Tacoma.

Room Tip: If using a travel website to book, make sure to verify your room type at check-in. Per the front des...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deanfettig
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

I gave the Silver Cloud 5 stars, but it did have one fault--though for us, the advantages more than compensated. The flaw is that the plumbing is noisy.

The room was very clean, and attractive. We were on the west side, first floor, so it was ON the water. The breakfast was great, the lobby dining area very nice, and the amenities in the room were good.

The BEST part however, is the fantastic walking trails outside the door. It was so much fun to walk along the Sound and see the sights.

Byesville, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

We rented a car at the airport and drove directly to the hotel. It was easy to find and were welcomed with a smiling face and a free upgrade. Our room was pleasant with a nice view. There was a very comfy overstuffed chair and ottoman in our room. One thing that was really nice was the ability to open the windows and hear the water. We loved it and slept well. The breakfast was wonderful. We didn't expect such a nice variety of hot and cold foods. We would love to return to this hotel.

Room Tip: The end rooms have the most amazing views. Try to get a room as close as you can to the far end.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family