“Great location overlooking Commencement Bay - free on-street parking”
Review of The Spar

The Spar
Ranked #40 of 757 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Vancouver, Washington
“Great location overlooking Commencement Bay - free on-street parking”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The restaurant was quite busy but the food and service were impeccable. Prices were reasonable. I look forward to returning in a few weeks.

• Visited August 2011

Seattle, Washington
“Looking for a place to make a regular breakfast spot...still looking”
Reviewed June 30, 2011

I came here on a Saturday morning for breakfast with my fiance and mother. I'm not too familiar with the area, but my mother heard they serve breakfast and suggested it. I attempted to pull a menu online, but their site doesn't show anything associated with breakfast; apparently they only serve breakfast on the weekends.

We sat in the back, where it admittedly gives a beautiful view of the waterfront. The location is just a street up from Ruston Way and it offers an unabated view of the water and the shoreline. My only issue with the "view" is that it was a cold day and the window was leaking cold air through it. This caused me to want to change seats, but it was bearable and not worth asking the whole group to move.

When we placed our order, our waiter was really not all that impressive. He didn't seem too enthused to be working there, though I'm sure anyone would've rather have been somewhere else than working on a Saturday morning. But he could've at least faked it. He took our order and hastily walked away, doing so AS my mother was asking for a side of bacon for her meal. My fiance went up afterwards and had the bacon added to the order.

After about 25 minutes, we began to wonder where our food was. There were only about four other parties in there with us, and we were there first. After we flagged down a waitress (no one had ever come back to check on us), our food quickly appeared. Our orders were accurate, but they forgot to bring my fiance's side order of a sausage patty. The waitress had to go to the register and check to ensure that it was actually part of the order which, in my opinion, was a tad bit insulting.

The quality of the food wasn't bad. I had pancakes with some sausage and eggs (scrambled). They all tasted pretty good, but nothing that I'd describe as "wonderful". For what you get in quality and portion size, it's really a bit overpriced.

That's basically how I'd describe The Spar...overpriced. The food was ok, but not great, and it certainly didn't make up for the poor service. I went hoping to find a nice breakfast spot that I could make into a regular stop, but sadly left unfulfilled. My search continues...

• Visited July 2010