“Very nice Atmosphere”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 17, 2012

A hidden gem of sorts. A little hard to find but stepping in to the restaurant we were very surprised by its elegance. We were there on a Friday night and were able to enjoy a jazz trio with our meal. We had the Scallops with a delicious spaghetti squash as an appetizer and the 16 oz Rib eye for our entree. Very good food but not cheap ... All and all a very nice night out.

1  Thank Dan525

Reviewed February 14, 2012

Had never been here before. Picked it primarily because I had a Living Social Coupon, but also had heard some good things about it. It had just been reviewed in the Tacoma paper, and it had mixed reviews. New owner, new chef, new menu since their last visit. Our dinner was very good, so I was very pleased. The swordfish was a special item for the evening, and it was excellent. Very mild, grilled to perfection. Cos cos was flavorful, and vegetables were very tasty. The prime rib, also a special item, was plentiful, tender, flavorful, and plenty left over to take home. Side dishes were very good, also. Bread pudding for dessert, split between us, had a nice sauce and excellent flavor and texture. Dinner with wine and coffee was just under $100. For a special night out, a very reasonable price. Another review said is felt cramped with tables so close, but it turned out the woman next to us had worked with my wife many years ago, and we had a very pleasant conversation with her and her husband as we finished dessert and they ordered. He noticed my Valentine's socks, and made a comment. That got the conversation going. Nice thing about sitting so close. A good chance to meet someone new.

1  Thank RetiredTraveler2009
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I just came back from dinner at Maxwell's and just had to write a review. My husband and I ordered from the regular menu. The food is excellent! We order the meatloaf and fish of the day. All of the food is organic and local and the staff is very informative and willing to make changes to the menu (I can't have dairy products). Save room for Bread Pudding is delicious and I am going back to order it again. I can't stop thinking about it. It is so nice to see a great restaurant like this in Tacoma instead of always having to go to Seattle for great food. When we were there is wasn't busy, but the bar lounge was packed!
The have a new chef.. You'll enjoy a pleasant atmosphere and no rushing.

1  Thank Tamie H
Reviewed January 13, 2012

We were looking for someplace kind of special to eat in celebration of the new year and birthdays. Maxwell's had been suggested to us by two sets of friends. Boy were we glad we listened. The food is really something special for Tacoma - good selection, extremely tasty and aesthetically pleasing, the wait staff were very helpful and pleasant. The menu items were a bit pricey but totally worth it for what we got. They also make an effort to use and serve local products, which is meaningful to us. The interior is really comfortable and nice without being pretentious. I would definitely recommend it if you're looking for an intimate, tasty and special experience.

Reviewed December 28, 2011

My wife and I visited a restaurant called Maxwells. The music was very relaxing. The food was delicious. The service was a little slow, because they opened the lounge at 4 P.M. and began dinner service at 5:00 P.M. It looked like a place for all ages. The lounge was a little cold due to the strong winds blowing.