“Fast Service, Food that Looks Like the Menu Photo”

Elmer's Restaurant - Tacoma
Ranked #41 of 748 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: Diner, American
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Business meetings, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: A Northwest favorite since 1960. Our 25 locally owned Elmer's Restaurants take pride in their communities and source local, farm-fresh ingredients.
Portland, Oregon
“Fast Service, Food that Looks Like the Menu Photo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stopped for breakfast, ordered French Toast with Fruit Combo. The coffee was good. My order came out quickly. It was well prepared and just what I asked for. Looking at the bill now, I notice they didn't charge me for the extra fruit I requested. A lot of four tops with big window views. All the staff were pleasant, aimed to please.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank PaulParks

“Like a Denny's, but with a bar”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

Having never been to the Northwest, I want familiar with this chain - I didn't even know it was a chain at first. I just saw it was crowded the first time I passed it on the way to my hotel, so I came by my second night in town to try it out.

I was excited at first at the low price for Salmon, so I ordered the filet with Hollandaise sauce. Turns out it's a really small filet, with nothing spectacular about it. The wine was local, but generic.

All in all not bad, but I was hoping for something better.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank SgtDew
Seattle
“A casual dining experience ...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

I have dined at many Elmer's restaurants in their Oregon and Washington locations. While the menus are pretty much the same, the food quality is pretty consistent, but the quality of service, however, varies between stores.

In general, the staff members at the Tacoma location, while nice and friendly, are pretty slow. If you're in a hurry, then this is not the place for you ... a meal can take almost an hour of your time.

Having said all that, I do enjoy coming to this restaurant because I rarely have to wait to be seated, the servers are friendly, the quality of food is generally pretty good, the food is not fancy and the prices are reasonable.

• Visited August 2013
Tacoma
“Nice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have dined at Elmer's many times over the years. The staff members are mostly young and tend to be "task" oriented, and always in too big a hurry to take a minute to visit with customers.
If this is supposed to be a fast food restaurant why have a bar and advertise as a sit down restaurant. I believe they need to teach customer kindness, get to know customers by name, and develop repeat business based on their good food (which is very good) and friendship and remembering the customer when they come in again and again. Still a great restaurant but noise level is also pretty high from the kitchen at times. Rate it a 7 out of 10

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Frank R
Hereford, TX
“In Love with the Dutch Baby”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is a great family oriented chain that is consistently good. I have eaten there for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on numerous occasions. My particular favorite is the Dutch Baby, a golden puffy skillet pancake that is like eating Cloud 9. Definitely something not found on everyone's menu. Scrumptious!

• Visited December 2012