“Good place to watch the game”
Review of Varsity Grill - CLOSED

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 11th Street
Description: Steel Creek American Whiskey Co. is Downtown Tacoma's Steakhouse & country bar. A full service restaurant during the week & the largest 21+ country party in the south sound after 9pm Thursday - Saturday.
Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is exactly the kind of restaurant you get if your first, second, and third priorities are making sure the game can be seen from every seat. The food was about what you want to be eating while watching the game. Decent burger, but nothing special. But if you want to see the game, drink a beer, and stuff yourself, it's just about perfect.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Ate here on Election Night because our hotel restaurant was jam-packed with candidate's event causing the kitchen to be backed up over an hour. The food conformed to the expectations you might have of a sports bar dinner. Buffalo Chicken salad, good fries, big drinks, etc. Bartender was present, but not overly so--hanging out with his friends at the other end of the bar mostly, but there when we needed him.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

we always eat here when staying at the Murano. It is a quick walk which justifies trying anything on the menu! Our favorite was the wings, we probably should have walked more because we came back for wings later that night!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

The food was okay. The service was good. I don't like sports bars (too much noise) so it wasn't really my cup of tea.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

When I visited the Varsity grill, the patio was open, and I took advantage of it. Being situated on a tree lined one-way street, it wasn't too noisy, but there was enough people-watching to keep the table entertained. The menu features pub food with a twist. I had the buffalo chicken salad and despite what blink7589 said, I thought it was delicious (order the dressing on the side). I stole some fries from my friend, and they were fantastic. Crispy and salty, just the way I like them.

If you have a Passport card, they have a buy one entree, get one free deal which makes dining there very economical.