“Wonderful surprise!”

Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
california
“Wonderful surprise!”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Was I ever surprised at this comfortable but affordable hotel. The bed was comfy, the room was quiet, the breakfast adequate, and the swimming pool was just outstanding. Totally enjoyed my short stay here and will definitely stay again. Highly recommended, especially if you like to swim to unwind after a long flight or drive.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor in the middle of the building for a super quiet night.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CathyOfCal
hotelgmTacoma, General Manager at Comfort Inn Tacoma - Seattle, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you so much for this great review of our hotel. It means a lot to me!

Kurt Turrell, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Long Beach, Washington
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Took a weekend family trip to the Tacoma area. The hotel met our expectations very well. Friendly front desk staff, great indoor pool and hot tub, and nice breakfast assortment. We had originally booked a king suite with a hide-a-bed, and once my daughter discovered it would be extremely uncomfortable to sleep on, we asked if we could move to a room with two queen beds. The staff was very accommodating and got us moved immediately, and even refunded the difference in the room rate. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SELBWA
hotelgmTacoma, General Manager at Comfort Inn Tacoma - Seattle, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
I want to personally thank you for this great review. I am the new GM of the hotel, and my name is Kurt Turrell. Thanks again!
Post Falls, Idaho, United States
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Comfort Inn Tacoma WA

I am writing to you about a story I believe is worth sharing.

My 9-year-old daughter has been an All Star Cheerleader for 5 years now.
In those 5 years we have done much traveling due to competitions, in and out of state.

Our most recent competition was in Tacoma WA.
I had made reservations on line at your S. Hosmer St. Inn a month before our trip.

After a 6-hour drive we arrived at your Inn.
Our girls were tired of being in a car, and very excited to get to the rooms and change into their swimsuits. The pool is always the highlight of their hotel stays J

I went to your front desk to check in only to be told that they had ‘over-booked’ and we didn’t have a room. I seriously thought she was joking with me and handed her my paper work. She informed me that she was VERY serious and there was simply nothing she could do! My husband asked to speak to the manager and he was told that she had left for the evening. We very politely asked her to call the manager and we would speak to her over the phone if necessary. She did, and the manager was on her way home after a long day and had no intention of coming back to the Inn. We were never even given the phone to speak with her.
In the midst of all of this, our girls are very upset and crying!
I tried to assure them that it would all be OK, and that this was just a mix up on the hotel’s part. Surely they will fix this!
Meantime, at least 5 others walked into the lobby and were promptly checked into their rooms!!!
After 40 minutes of waiting for the manager to return (because surely she would), we were told to leave or they would have to call the police!

We had to find another hotel!
Being that there was a NATIONAL cheer competition, and another large event in town that weekend, there weren’t very many places to choose from. We ended up at a less than desirable hotel where, after checking in, we noticed obvious signs of illegal behavior and many shady characters.

I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW SCARED OUR CHILDREN WERE!
This was NOT the weekend they had imagined! We had to sleep with the chair propped under the door handle just so they would feel a sense of security!

Upon returning home my husband called your Customer hotline to let them know what had happened to us. Of course they apologized and said that this was NOT their policy in handling such situations. (Which leads me to believe these ‘situations’ occur often?)
Other than that, there was nothing more to say!

We also had received a letter from your Tacoma manager stating that she was sorry she could not resolve the matter for us. That she had returned to the hotel only to find we had already left. I can tell you with absolute certainty that this is a lie! Not only did we wait there for 40 minutes, my husband had returned at least 3 times that night to see if she had come back to the hotel. She never did!

To say that I’m appalled at our experience with your service is an understatement!
I’ve shared my feelings with many others, and they all agree that this is inconceivable!
That there were small children involved makes it even more unimaginable.

Yes, we were mailed a certificate for a free night at your Tacoma Inn, should we wish to return. I can’t help but think this a joke!
What I CAN tell you is that I am more than willing to share my story with everyone who wants to hear it. I would hate for anyone else’s child to have to go through what mine did.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Vikky S
First, I wish I could apologize directly to your children, and to you. The hotel is now under new management, and I am writing to personally apologize for the huge mistakes that our hotel made with you. It is the responsibility of the hotel to not be overbooked, although it does sometimes happen. When it does, we should make the alternate arrangements for you and see to it that you arrive safely at a desireable hotel and that you enjoy your stay there. Our hotel has no excuses for this tremendous mistake...well, it is worse than a mistake; it ruined your lodging experience and scared your children badly. Wow, this should never have happened.

I feel that I probably cannot offer words or actions that would repair the situation. I too am appalled that this whole event took place! That past manager had an opportunity to turn things around, but only added insult to injury. I wish I could go back in time and take care of your family properly.

I know that you were sent a certificate for a free night, but I wonder if you would even consider giving us - me - the chance to show you a rewarding experience. I truly wish that you would.

You have my deepest understaning, apologies, and regrets.

Respectfully,
Kurt R. Turrell, GM
Albany, Oregon
Reviewed February 9, 2013

First impression was not a warm one. The person at the desk didn't smile, say hello or thank you, (something you might expect from someone who is suppose to greet people when checking in).

Our room was neat, (meaning their wasn't trash or mess in it), but didn't look cleaning, (ie: carpet and furniture stains, and dirt and hair around the box spring bedding, yuk!).

The coffee in the reception area was cold as ice but not as cold as the bill they slip under your door in the middle of the night when you're sleeping. You can expect about a 20% increase above your room rate, (mainly from added taxes), as well as a few more dollars tacked on to your credit card bill, (what we discovered when we got home), for who knows what, (we were very careful not to use any added hotel services)!

The bill they slip under your door, (in the middle of the night), has a copy they want you to sign and leave in the room. I'm guessing the copy they have you sign and leave in the room, allows them a way of tacking on additional charges to your credit card without giving you the opportunity of questioning these charges prior to leaving the hotel. So my recommendation, (in hind sight), is to not sign their copy. Better yet, find another place to stay.

Surprised and Disappointed

Room Tip: Hotel not located in a very nice part of town. There's a bus stop directly in front of the prop...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Devin H
Hello Devin H.

I am the new General Manager at the Comfort Inn and I have just read your review entitled "Not My First Choice". I too am "surprised and disappointed"; the hotel clearly was not at its best at all for you. I wish that I had been there at that time. I would have done everything in my power to make it right with you. Your first impression was bad and it just got worse from there!

Even though I was not on staff at that time, I accept responsibility on behalf of the hotel and I want to personally invite you to call upon me. I will invite you back - free, of course - and do my very best to make it up to you.

I hope that in time you will find it in your heart to forgive the hotel and try us again.

Most Sincerely,

Kurt R. Turrell, GM
Tacoma, Washington, United States
Reviewed February 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed the night of our wedding. it was amazing! Nice and relaxing. First thing I noticed was how clean it was, and the smell was so inviting. The bed was the best part, nice and comfy, never wanted to get out. Had a very nice variety for breakfast. Enjoyed the heated indoor pool. all in all our stay was wonderful! We plan to go back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dez J
My name is Kurt Turrell and I am the new General Manager of the Comfort Inn in Tacoma. I just wanted to thank you for your nice words on our behalf. I am so glad you had a great experience. We look forward to serving you again!

Kurt R. Turrell
Wilsonville, Oregon
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Comfort Inn in Tacoma was a terrific place to stay. Comfortable beds, courteous staff. Can't speak to the included hot breakfast, although I'd like to. My fault...I slept way too late.

A couple things that are probably an easy fix. First, the signage on the access road was terrible. Could see the place perfectly from the highway, but once I turned off, the hotel seemed to disappear. There is a sign on the awning, so maybe the lights were just out? Next, the elevator was significantly colder than anywhere else in the building. I didn't expect that.

My question about the property, and all the other Choice hotels.... Why the trend with the smaller pillows? The last few times I've stayed at various hotels in the chain, I've noticed couch-sized pillows - the size of decorative pillows. I can make them work, certainly, but prefer a full sized, "real" pillow or two.

I did like the fact that the Tacoma property had what I would consider "real" cable and not just a large handful of select channels. It was a treat to watch my favorite channels while on my trip.

Overall, a very positive experience. I'm sure I'll be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
hotelgmTacoma, General Manager at Comfort Inn Tacoma - Seattle, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
On behalf of The Comfort Inn Tacoma we thank you for your kind comments. We strive for excellence by providing a clean and safe environment and a friendly and welcoming hotel staff. We look forward to your next visit. Have a wonderful day. Sincerely, Charles Hagedorn General Manager
MAUSTON
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The room had a terrible odor. My sinuses were stuffed up a week after staying there. The garbage can had garbage in it. The couch was stained. The hotel manager had the worst customer skills I have ever dealt with. We used points for the stay. He only refunded half of the points. When I agreed to that then he started wanting to give us back less points.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RONNIE F
hotelgmTacoma, General Manager at Comfort Inn Tacoma - Seattle, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
gst called in stating that the hotel offered him 8,000 pts, which he accepted. gst states that his sinuses are still bothering him and now he wishes he had asked for more. i advsd the gst that he would need to speak with the hotel or i could call them on his behalf. gst declined.

Dear Mr. Ron.
I would like to apologize again for the level of service I may have presented during our phone conversation. There is only so much I can do as a manager when the issues presented regarding your stay is a few days after you stayed. As far as when we spoke, you informed me that the only time you mentioned anything about the room was during check out. This does not give the hotel a chance to fix the issue.
A reviews such as this is very important for our future business, so hopefully I am able to explain the hotels response to this matter.
We hope to have you as a guest again in the future.
Have a great day.