“Exquisite Suites, Beautiful Scenery”

Thornewood Castle Inn and Gardens
Ranked #1 of 11 Tacoma B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful hospitality and delicious breakfast. This has been a beautiful start to a lifelong honeymoon. We watched a gorgeous sunset and ate breakfast on the patio overlooking the secret garden. Dreamy! We’ll be back next year for our 1-year anniversary. Thank you again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Two days ago, we entered Thornewood and it’s enchantment. As I slept, I had magnificent dreams of years gone past. Thornewood has a great history and unending warmth, romance and charm. These two days were a respite for both Doug and I. As we leave today we go back to the real world, now we have a place to hide and enjoy romantic times together.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 3, 2012

The restrictions put on my daughters wedding were terrible. They would not let anyone into the Castle until 4PM. The wedding was at 4:30 and it was pouring down rain. They met me at the door and wanted an $800. Damage deposit and informed us that unless everyone was out of the gates by 10:00Pm they would charge me $800. I had made all of other payments on time.
I stayed in the Lake House and was informed if I lost the remote to the gate they would charge me $500. The castle is beautiful but the whole evening I was concerned about getting everyone out on time. Not a very bride friendly place. The bridesmaids all commented that they would never have their wedding there. They also charged $500 to have a rehearsal there on top of the fees for the Castle. They put a real damper on the evening.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
11  Thank hanegan
Thornewood-Castle, Manager at Thornewood Castle Inn and Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2012

Please allow me to clarify a few points mentioned in this review. We are a rental only facility and we were not the wedding planners or caterers for this event. Like most facilities we are rented for a specific period of time. The time period is chosen by the customer. On this particular occasion, the client rented the facility from 4:00 PM until 10:00 PM. Apparently they planned the wedding ceremony to start at 4:30 PM, which only allows them 30 minutes to set up the entire ceremony, reception, catering, and do all of this while guests would be arriving. We require a security deposit, which is standard practice for many facility rentals. For our customers’ convenience and satisfaction, we have not required the deposit to be paid in advance. Instead, as a courtesy, we have accepted payment on the day of the event and in almost all cases it is returned it at the end of the event. Normally our customers are appreciative of this. The security deposit is clearly stated in our contract and applies to all of our customers. This customer was well informed about our product and policies both verbally and in writing. We delivered our facility when promised and it was beautiful according to this bride and her mother. We understand a wedding is one of the most important days in an individual's life and we will always do everything possible to make sure the event runs as smoothly as possible. Our customer’s satisfaction is our greatest reward.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Let me start by saying that the castle and gardens were breathtakingly beautiful and I challenge you to find a more incredible setting. We stayed for 2 nights and there were weddings on the grounds both days. As B&B guests we were given access to the castle interior, the gardens and the lakefront. There was only one other room rented on our first night and the very friendly woman on staff took us on a personal tour of all of the empty rooms, unlocking each one and telling us stories of her time spent working at Thornewood. The owners, Deanna and Wayne Robinson, could not have been more acoommodating. We were treated like guests in their home and they tirelessly answered all of our questions, and as we were there celebrating our birthdays they even gave us a lovely gift! As for the breakfast, one of us is vegan and the other vegetarian - they were very careful to provide delicious and appropriate meals for both of us, served with a garnish of tiny flowers. Lovely. I could go on and on but I won't - suffice to say that the room was clean and beautifully furnished and ours was equipped with a little kitchenette that was perfect for our stay. The only downside I saw was that the carpet on the main staircase is worn and could use some TLC, but that did not in any way diminish our enjoyment of this wonderful weekend.

Room Tip: Be sure to view carefully online - not all rooms have kitchenettes and some have the bath in the hal...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank woodacy
Reviewed August 28, 2011

There is no place quite like this for its grandeur, comfort and accessibility. Perfect to get together with friends coming from different directions. We all enjoyed staying with you and I hope we do it again. I liked the low profile style of hosting: our rooms were generously stocked and well prepared to anticipate a range of needs, so we had no reason to call for anything. Similarly, breakfast was a huge offering of a variety of foods, certainly something for most everyone's preferences. Only needing to ascend two flights to our rooms would discourage us, but the art surrounding the awesome staircase, and some thoughtfully placed chairs cheered us onward and upwards. And Errol says Hellooooo!!

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank agingwithattitude
Reviewed June 27, 2010

I feel intimidated trying to match some of the earlier reviewers. Suffice it to say the castle is as close as most of us will get to staying in Hearst Castle (if you've been there in California, you know what I mean) The owners have a huge passion for decor, for history, for a warm personal visitor experience.

This is the nicest place you will ever stay. If you have stayed anywhere nicer, you have so much money that you have people you have hired to read these reviews for you and you're not even seeing this.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheBlitz
Reviewed March 10, 2010

This truly IS a castle! How often can you take your wife for a romantic weekend getaway at a place like this? It is breathtaking! The setting that surrounds this bed and breakfast is so amazing, it must be seen to be believed. It sits on a beautiful lake surrounded by dozens of some of the tallest trees I have ever seen. The rooms are ornate and contain untold fortunes in antiques. My wife and I loved the food almost as much as the setting, and we are planning monthly getaways to enjoy this beautiful place. It is a must see.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple