“Horrible! Dangerous! Don't Even Think of Staying Here!”

Extended Stay America - Tacoma - South
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Spokane, Washington
“Horrible! Dangerous! Don't Even Think of Staying Here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We booked into this hotel for an extended stay as we had a job assignment in the area. Since this hotel had a kitchenette, we chose it ... and there wasn't much else available. We should have opted to drive whatever distance was necessary. From the outside, this place looks pretty nice. From the inside it is old and in need of repair. However, that was not our main concern. Once we were settled in, we noticed activities and people in the hallways that made us uncomfortable. There is no camera surveillance in the hallways. After being there a couple weeks were awakened in the early hours of the morning by someone pounding on our door. Suddenly our room begin to fill with a yellow cloud of powdery dust. Someone emptied an entire fire extinguisher of fire retardant powder into our room through a small hole at the bottom of our door. We frantically called the front desk and no one came to our aid. All alarms were set off in the building, and the fire department finally arrived. The entire contents of our room was covered in this corrosive fire retardant ... causing much damage to our belongings. No one was ever charged with this action. The hotel manager was nice enough to dry clean our clothes, but many things had to be replaced and the hotel and their insurance company did nothing to compensate for our losses. We had to repurchase many expensive items personally. If this wasn't enough, a few days later, the police came in with guns and had an altercation that ended with someone being arrested at gunpoint right outside our window. That about sums up our stay and the kind of area this is. STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: Don't get a room here
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank BusinessTraveler321
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Tacoma - South, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Thank you for choosing Tacoma Extended Stay. Congratulations on your job assignment here in Tacoma, Washington.

I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The sequence of events you described is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am opening a through investigation. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at tac@extendedstay.com.

In response to your experience, I am tightening the security and retraining staff for security of our guests and hotel. I would like to offer a Be Our Guest Certificate for your next stay with us or our sister property. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to check out our newly renovated property and to provide you with a better stay the next time you're in the area. Please respond back to me with an address.

Thank you for choosing Tacoma Extended Stay, and I look forward to connecting with you soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Stayed here for over a month out of necessity, travelling on very tight budget and this hotel provided the cheapest rate. I was a little taken aback when I arrived in the middle of the night to find the hotel was locked for safety measures and I had to be buzzed in. Hotel doors under constant surveillance, so you do get a sense of what kind of area this is.
I thought the accommodation was passable for the price although hotel felt old, dingy and in need of repair. My room was decent size. I cook most of my meals so I also stayed here because of the large fridge and stove top, although would have loved to have an oven as well. To be honest I am a clean freak so more easily irritated by grubby carpets, greasy oven burners, cracked sink and tub etc. Hotel actually did start under-going renovations before I left so hopefully the rooms will get a much needed face lift.
I thought the blanket on the bed was horrible and provided no warmth or comfort at all.
You can get room cleaned once a week if you choose but unlimited towels, sheets etc. I opted out as am very sensitive to the chemical cleaners used. Thankfully you can open the windows to air out the room if you want.
The location proved excellent for me during my stay. I could walk to the mall if I wanted to or drive anywhere I needed to within 10 minutes (highway, downtown, waterfront, Grand Cinema, Wallmart, Safeway, Marlene's Natural Health market, etc).
TIP- REMOVE ALL YOUR VALUABLES OUT OF YOUR CAR BEFORE LOCKING IT. I had mine broken into (not at hotel) and so did others I met (in hotel parking lot).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jen S
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

I went over some of the reviews of the hotels in the area before my stay and I originally stayed at another hotel, after a night of terror I decided to try out Extended Stay. I had seen some mixed reviews online so I came in with my dukes up. I called in advance and received amazing customer service over the phone. By the time I pulled up it looked very nice. I walked into the lobby and was greeted with a smile. I asked about any other possible discounts and the gentleman Roel was able to find me a discount. I was informed of the renovations occurring and her informed me of the times they would be working so that I could schedule my time in the room around the noise. When I came into the room I was delighted that there was a full fridge, microwave, real plates and mugs, in addition to silverware. There were even ice cube trays! I really enjoyed their attention to detail in making our extended stay more like home. There were plenty of towels for the two of us. The only negative I would say was the bathroom counters weren't updated but, as they complete the renovations it sounds like that will be fixed. The most important part, it was CLEAN! I loved our stay and will make this one of our stops next time were in town.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deja D
East Wenatchee, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

They overbooked hotel., supposed to call taxi but didn't. Non apologetic. rude. This hotel is hard to locate the entrance. Not as close to Tacoma Dome as promised. If you need front desk staff assistance-make sure you don't rely on them to do what they say they will do-they are not apologetic either. Responses include"I don't know what is going on." or "You need to do it yourself" or "what do you expect me to do" and "you need to wait.".

Room Tip: Don't waste your time here
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cratebeagle
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Tacoma - South, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. Please know that we are sincerely sorry that you received such poor customer service while you were with us. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have taken the necessary disciplinary action to ensure your experience is not repeated. I have also shared your review with our team and we are using it as a coaching tool for the rest of the Front Desk associates to be sure that we can work to improve in this area.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. Please contact me, at tac@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. We hope that you will give us the opportunity to provide you with a better experience the next time you're in the area.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

The last week of Sept, I stayed in two diff Extended Stays. This one is across the street from Tacoma Mall & beside a mass transit hub. The only two good things about this place. Outside looks excellent& well maintained. Housekeeping is horrible. Even the lobby was dirty. I was very happy to move to the location in Fife. The staff in Fife informed me the Tacoma Mall location was being remodeled in December. I wouldn't stay there until after. Beds are horrible. The manager looked like he was recovering from sleeping in his clothes and his staff treated guests like they were interrupting personal conversations. Safe yourself aggravation and drive six more miles to Fife!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Tacoma - South, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I am so disappointed to hear that there were both housekeeping and customer service issues. Please accept my apology. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have addressed both our housekeeping and entire Front Desk team to ensure your experience is not repeated.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. To discuss further, or if you have any questions, please contact me at tac@extendedstay.com. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Hotel is close to the Tacoma mall,you can walk to the mall for eating out or shopping for things.
Bathroom and kitchen are both very clean. Front desk staff is pleasant to deal with.
The only thing thing that I don't like is the wall is not sound proof, so you hear the noise from the outside,and your next door neighbor as well.

Room Tip: Great customer service, the front desk staff is very helpful.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank april4450
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Tacoma - South, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
April - Thank you so much for taking a moment to post a review of your experience. I am so pleased to hear that we were able to offer a comfortable stay with amenities that fit your needs and provided you with excellent customer service. We strive to ensure that every guest has a wonderful visit while in the Tacoma area and I am happy we have been successful.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

Great location. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Nice having a kitchen but for the one night stay really wish there was a hair dryer. Rooms were large and the bed was comfortable. It was a little like an apartment feel to this hotel. Would recommend and would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank azgirl55
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Tacoma - South, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are so happy to hear that our staff provided you with great service and that you liked your spacious room, especially the kitchen. Still, I do apologize that it was not communicated that we have hairdryers available at the front desk and will be sure to address this at check-in moving forward so there isn't any further confusion.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are traveling in the area.