“Good stop over”

Holiday Inn Express Tacoma
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Reviewed April 16, 2012

This was a good hotel for a few day stop over. The hot tub in the king room was ok, but not worth the extra money. The only negative thing was the Hot tub in the main area was a little dirty for my liking, but I am OCD about that stuff. Great service and friendly staff

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Tacoma

Reviewed February 21, 2012

I was put in a room next to the elevator even though I requested furthest away from it when I made my reservation. All the pipes for everyone's shower run through the wall of that room!! I had to turn on a noise machine app on my phone to try and drown it out. Requested a different room but they weren't able to move me. The breakfast was good and front desk was efficient but the room was not restful. If you stay here, I recommend getting a guarantee not to have a room by the elevator or the room right next to the first floor lobby - saw another unhappy guest get that one.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank aknizek
Reviewed February 7, 2012

I would not recommend this hotel. I wish I had read the reviews before allowing our agent to book this hotel. Like others, I felt the area was not safe. The hotel is a little run down compared to other HI Express hotels. There were parties going on up into the early morning hours across from our room. Outside of that, I have never encountered management like this hotel. Our agent accidentally double booked our night and yes, they have a 24 hour cancellation policy. One front desk person told us they took the extra room not booked off and allowed my husband to pay for the rooms. A month later, our credit card bill revealed they had charged the room to us and not told us. Our credit card company and our agent did not have a good experience in dealing with this hotel and neither have we. I would highly recommend staying at the HI Express in Lacy (25 miles away) and it was not as expensive.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JCTNGAL
Reviewed December 6, 2011

This Holiday Inn Express is only a few years old and has the feel of a new hotel. The front desk crew were all exceptionally nice and helpful. The complimentary breakfast is better than average. Our room was superbly clean, as was the rest of the hotel that we visited. Beds were comfortable, the wide screen TV was good.

Within a mile of the hotel there are the usual chain restaurants, including Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Applebees, and more. There is also Elmer's which is popular with the local folks. If you are going to be in the South Tacoma, Lakewood, Parkland, area this is a good choice.

There are two things that first-time visitors need to know. The best entry into the parking area is through the shopping center lot. If you are coming from the north, 84th street and I-5 look for the small sign that points the way. Trying to enter at the stoplight is difficult if there's traffic.

Room Tip: Try for an upper floor because if you have selfish parents with kids above you, you will regret the...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Rogerl53
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We stayed at the Tacoma Holiday Inn Express in November 2011 for one night to celebrate a birthday at the Point Defiance Zoo and lunch at Anthonys. There was some noise from the freeway, but not too bad. Very close to Tacoma Mall and assorted 'chain' eateries - we chose Famous Daves which served pretty good barbecue ribs and chicken.
Location - It's located just off I-5 at Exit 128, Washington
Check-in - very efficient and friendly - made easier as we are members of the Priority Club - also luckily to be upgrade into a suite as well. Thank you!
Room - we booked a double but were upgraded into a double bed suite - nice and clean with complimentary water in the fridge and popcorn for use with the microwave - these little, but nice touches make a trip. Clean and well appointed bathroom, massive flat screen TV. Clean and comfortable bed.
Breakfast - included in the price. Dining room was fine - Holiday Inn Breakfast with a reasonable choice of 3 cereals, apples, bananas, yoghurts, hot biscuits, gravy, links and sausage patties, cheese omelettes, breads, croissants and bagels, and an automatic pankcake maker!
Check-out - very quick and all billed correctly.
Pool - the area was clean, but the water was pretty chilly - nice hot tub and even a sauna!
A smaller Holiday Inn, but up to the usual standards - I would recommend the hotel and we were very pleasantly surprised with the unexpected upgrade!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2011

I travel to Fort Lewis for business several times a year, and always stay here. The location is ideal for base access. Go next door for pizza at NEO's (a must).

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank ragazza000
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Stayed here on business for one week. Not having stayed at an HI Express before, this seemed to be a decent-looking edition of the chain, which is located within a commercial strip along Hosmer and sandwiched between I-5 (though not close enough to hear the car noise from the freeway) and a middle-class neighborhood in South Tacoma.

Location is a fair bit away from downtown Tacoma and the Tacoma Dome, so if you need to be near those areas, this isn't the place for you. However, the drive isn't all that bad if you need to get to either of those locations. The freeway access to and from the hotel is a little tricky however, unless you're coming from the south, where the on-ramp puts you right there at the hotel.

Parking is a little cramped (one section is inclined on a slope facing the hotel), but a few of the businesses at the strip mall next to the hotel are unoccupied, so it shouldn't much of an issue at this time to actually find a spot.

Rooms are fairly large, with the usual amenities. Refrigerators are large, and include a couple free bottles of water. Bed was fairly comfy for me, but may not be so for those who really prefer firm mattresses. Walls are thin, but thankfully it wasn't much of an issue as the hotel was only half-occupied at the time.

Cable was out for the first couple days - it really wasn't part of why I stayed there, but they were nice enough to add some points to my account for the inconvenience.

Breakfast is standard issue - among continental breakfasts, I'd say the Best Western's near the Tacoma Dome is a slight bit better. The cinnamon rolls were surprisingly good, and the right size to avoid overindulging. They bake cookies in the evening - they're nothing close to gourmet, but they do disappear pretty quickly.

Not much within walking distance in terms of practical needs stores - there is a mini-mart at the gas station right next door, a drug store about a half-mile north near the Lowe's, and a WinCo in the shopping center when you reach S. 72nd St (where you would turn to access I-5.) Also, if you need something better than the hotel coffee, there are a couple of coffee stands opposite each other within walking distance on Hosmer and 84th.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business