“The Good, the Bad and the Ugly”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Tacoma Seattle
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Tacoma
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The Good: This is a fairly typical La Quinta and that is usually a good thing. The king room was large enough, very nice desk set-up for your computer, flat screen high-def tv with high-def feed (I'm amazed at how many times hotels have high-def tv's but no high-def service). Everything was clean. No mold, cigarette burns, or threadbare towels. The WiFi was OK, depending on the time of day. Would have liked to have had the option of hard-wired Ethernet, especially since it looks like they had it and disabled it. I only took advantage of the breakfast once in two weeks. Nothing to get too excited about. Also, I don't like the format where you are seated at a table and the waitress brings you coffee, etc. Obviously, a tip is expected. I prefer the way the majority of hotels do it...you go in, get your stuff, sit down and eat it.

The Bad: Two huge problems at this hotel...the heating system and the hot water.
The heating/AC unit on the wall was identical to the last hotel that I stayed at. (non La Quinta) The difference was that in the previous hotel the unit was free-standing...you reach in the little slot and make adjustments...or turn it off. The unit here is wired into a thermostat on the wall and ultimately to the front desk. Look, I can tolerate a low-level hum (white noise) through the night. Actually, it can block out sounds from other rooms, freeway, etc. But this thing would every now and then go into this rhythmic, grinding, loud noise that would wake me up. So, just throw on another blanket, snuggle in, and turn the thing off...right! WRONG! You can't turn it off. The OFF sign shows up on the thermostat. In a minute or two it turns off. (pregnant pause) AND THEN IT COMES BACK ON!!! All night I had to listen to this. (I have a video but I guess there is no way to post it) I talked to management, they sent someone up, said it was fixed, the next night the same thing. Also, the setting on the thermostat bears little or no relationship to the actual temperature. During waking hours I was constantly up and down adjusting it.

The sink would not hold water. However, the water that did go into it was extremely slow to drain (have video). The drain plug thing was broken (photo) and the housekeeper ignored this both times I had the room cleaned. The worst thing was that it took 4 1/2 minutes to get hot water out of the sink. Interestingly, the shower hot water would come on right away. Again, no help from management. Speaking of housekeeping, both times she came in she left three packs of decaf but no regular. (Maybe that's the custom in her country?)

When you check in for two weeks you sign a paper stating that you only get service twice a week. Since I like to leave my room a certain way when I know housekeeping is coming (sensitive papers, dirty clothes, etc), I asked two separate times at the front desk what days they came. No one was quite sure of what I meant and answers ranged from "Oh, they just ignore that." to "Come down and tell us each time you want your room cleaned." The one time I did that, the room didn't get cleaned.

The Ugly:
The hotel proper and the rooms are very nice. The surrounding neighborhood is hideous. I meant to take a picture but forgot. The area is industrial, dotted by spewing smokestacks, chain link fences, cranes, freeways. If you're there to work as I was, not a serious problem. The parking lot is patrolled all night by a security guard. When I lost my car keys, he found them and turned them in and this was much appreciated.

Room Tip: Easy...don't accept 201. Also, while the view is worse, maybe the side away from the freeway.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank Richard F
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn & Suites Tacoma Seattle

Reviewed December 31, 2011

I need pet friendly hotel that I don't dread staying at. Overall this hotel fit my needs. It's clean, quiet, and comfortable. I would stay again if need be but personally would look for a comparable hotel with an indoor pool and or in room movie rentals.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 24, 2011

I love finding a good La Quinta Inn and this one met my expectations. With La Quinta you get free internet and a free breakfast! The room was spacious and the staff very helpful. I would definitely stay at this location again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We checked in after driving up from Portland in pouring rain. This hotel is very well appointed and has an added bonus of an onsite restaurant and cocktail lounge. A glass of wine was just what I needed. I had requested a quiet room away from the freeway and the desk clerk made sure all of our needs were met. Very nice complementary breakfast or you can order off the menu.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2011

LA Quinta goes out of their way to accomodate business meetings. Only one problem, they closed their dining room which was a disappointment. Staff was gracious.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2011

Not knowing Tacoma, we were looking for a clean room, in reasonable driving distance to the zoo. Tried to check-in our first night there (no reservation) and they were sold out - but staff found me a room in a nearby hotel. I was so impressed with the exterior, the lobby and especially the terrific front desk clerk, I reserved for the next night. Stayed one night. All the staff were terrific, hotel and room was spotless, very good continental breakfast. Nice pool and hot tub. Highly recommend for a great room at a competitive price.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Hawki56
Reviewed September 30, 2011

At first appearance, this hotel exterior and lobby look like a much more upscale hotel than most La Quintas. I checked in early evening and the associate at the desk was very busy, checking in 4 or 5 new arrivals, greeting guests returning to the hotel and taking phone requests for wake up calls. Even though I had to wait a few minutes to check in it was ok. This gal was cool as a cucumber, taking care of everyone in turn cheerfully and with a smile on her face. She was very appreciative of my patience and seemed genuinely sorry to keep me waiting. Our room was large and comfy, nice furnishings, well lit and everything worked. The bed and bath linens were first quality and the pet relief area clean with a supply of poo pick-up bags.
The hotel is very near I-5 and the Tacoma Dome but it was quiet and comfortable.
We love to travel with our dogs and we love how easy La Quinta always makes it to stay with them.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple