“Awesome... But it is a bar...”
Review of The Matador

The Matador
Ranked #6 of 764 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Matador Restaurants offer fresh Tex-Mex cuisine & premium tequilas in an inviting, social atmosphere — visit us in Seattle, Tacoma, Redmond, Portland, & Boise.
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

The Matador has some of my favorite food in town, at amazing prices. Most entrees are in the $10-15 range. The enchiladas with their spicy habanero sauce are amazing and the nachos are huge. I have never been even slightly disappointed by food I've ordered here.

The only caveat is that it is a bar, no minors allowed, and the service you would in a bar. It can get very crowded and loud on friday/saturday nights but that is part of the atmosphere. Tip: sit at the fireside seating.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

During a work trip my group decided on trying the Matador. We were very disappointed with this restaurant. I found a top shelf margarita on the menu for $8.00 and asked for it to be with patron. After recieving the bill I was very concerned with the charge for my drink to be $13.00. Seems I was charged for a shot of patron and then up charged for the drink. I asked waitress as to why I would not have been charged the 8.00 and then upcharged to patron and not the other way around especially when you see a top shelf on the menu for 8.00. Food was very greasy and service not that great. Would not recommend this restaurant to anyone that is traveling in Tacoma area.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Went this week with a bunch of friends, the waitress was so rude and the place was so hot we left after a few minutes. We were a group of women celebrating an upcoming wedding and were ready to have some margaritas but we decided to spend our hard earned money elsewhere.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Our second time to The Matador. Another great experience. This time we went for dinner. Their specialty steak is unbelievable. Fantastic margaritas (but be careful, they are huge and strong). We love the lighting, mirrors, dark reds...very romantic. We sat at a booth this time. The first time we came it was after 10 pm and they have a fabulous $5 food happy hour--just outstanding selection. Great tacos and spring rolls. Fried banana for dessert. We sat around the fireplace. The service is excellent--Courtney was our server this time. We will be back.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

First, I really wish restaurants would state on their menu that minors are not allowed inside. We are new to the area and looked up the "best" Mexican in town and drove down to The Matador out after church. It was rather unfortunate that we couldn't enter. Naturally, our curiosity was killing us so we scrambled to find a sitter so we could check it out...alone.

The decor is fun...the atmosphere is nice. It reminds us of our favorite places back home. The food is good enough...a little bland with lots of heat...kinda like eating a jalapeño. We prefer the food elsewhere in town (and also that we can take our children to the other Mexican places with better food). We don't regret the visit but we wont go through the hassle of coming back. It is too small and loud for dining--it makes for a better bar for sure.