“You HAVE TO eat here!”

Duke's Chowder House
Reserve with OpenTable
Duke's Chowder House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 751 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Mass.
“You HAVE TO eat here!”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

My wife and I stopped by here after having a totally awesome day visiting the Point Defiance area. This area is just incredible, but I'm here to write about Dukes. This was a lunch and the way the food was prepared and presented, it was more like a dinner class service. I got the Cherry Salmon special and a "II hear the ocean fresh salad". Both were just amazing. The salad had NW Coast Dungeness Crab, Wild Mexican Prawns, with bleu cheese crumbles, avocado, cucumber pico de gallo. But what isn't said is that the portions of each combined to give a very light yet supremely delicious starter made this one of the best salads I've ever eaten anywhere. The entree of broiled salmon with NW cherries and accompanied by Grand Marniner and butter sauce made this a perfect complimentary entree. I'm not a big fan of Grand marnier in meals as it can sometimes over power a dish, but again this was presented perfectly! My wife had the "Off the hook stuffed salmon", which she thought was good but lacked the flavor of the dungeness crab. She definitely got the cheese influence as the secondary part of the "stuffed" portion, and overall gave it a big thumbs up. I think in fairness the strong flavor salmon has in general could make it tough for a less bold taste of a crab meat to come through. Lastly we had the cream cheese frosting filled stuffed eclair, and all I can say is wow. Eclairs are probably one of my two favorite desserts, and this is a major twist on eclairs, but in a very good way. Normally the soft gooey filling of an eclair defines the overall quality. This was a much more firm, yet delicious twist on one of my all time favorites. You just have to try this place. The quality and presentation of the food for lunch was well beyond what I expected. We were so impressed we bought our son and his new wife a gift certificate right then and there. I wish there was a Duke's on the other coast as I hail from MA. and would certainly make it a regular stop if there were. Please go and be prepared for a great dining experience!

Jackson, Mississippi
“Great food & magnificent view of Puget Sound”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Duke's lives up to it's name "Chowder House". They serve very good clam chowder. I ordered the Rockfish Taco combo (or something like that!) which was a cup of their great chowder and a very tasty fish taco with tiquilla lime aioli & mango salsa with tortilla chips. The taco is overflowing with fish. Order the fabulous carrot cake for desert!
The view is incredible! A bald eagle flew over with a fish caught in it's talons & other birds chasing it! The Puget Sound is beautiful with all shapes & sizes of boats & ships, Mt Ranier in the distance, and Canadian geese came swimming by.

“Try the clam chowder!”
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

A bit pricey, but we had a fantastic meal with amazing service. Try a combo so you get some chowder. Very pleased by the healthy, appetizing children's menu.

Palm Springs, California
“Great view, drinks and food. What more can you ask for-”
Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I have always loved the Duke's Restaurants when we visit Washington. This was our first visit to this location. We had a great inside view table. Though I don't think there is a bad spot anywhere in this restaurant- including the Bar. All of the Staff that we met were very friendly and accommodating.
We had several tasty Mai Tais, the Chowder Sampler ( 4 small servings with several tastes for two) and the Fish and Chips. Too tasty. Can't wait to go back.

Seattle, WA
“Thank You Eeryone”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We planned a reception/dinner at Duke's for a family reunion in honor of my mother's birthday. From the General Manager on the staff at Duke's did an excellent job of anticipating our needs, suggesting options,and fulfilling their commitments. On the night of the event the staff was caring and friendly and more than contributed to the event's success.

Thanks much to everyone responsible for a great evening!

1 Thank erosebrock