Duke's Chowder House
Reserve with OpenTable
Duke's Chowder House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 764 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We stopped in Dukes early Saturday evening recently for Dinner and were anticipating a nice quality dinner on the deck overlooking Commencement Bay. The atmosphere was fun, but not too loud, and the views were great. The menu pricing was a little higher than expected, but not out of line for excellent food. The surprise came with the food and drink. We ordered margarita's which were obviously a poor mix with very little liquor. We both ordered halibut and chips on the recommendation of the server, along with a cup of their "famous" chowder. The chips were good, but the fish was overcooked and very, very dry. The chowder had good flavor but was extremely gritty and mine included a 1/2" piece of clam shell. Very disappointing. We felt we could have gone down the street to one of the higher end restaurants and had an excellent meal for the same price, minus the grit and shells. Not to mention the many pubs in town that serve excellent fish and chips for half the price. Overall, a bad experience.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

What a cozy place to sit on the deck over the water at Duke's! Going here with two of my favorite people for Sun brunch was the BEST. Service outstanding, menu interesting and inviting and the food was quite tasty & attractively presented. Only one glitch...the halibut for my fish & chips was a bit dry. Oh well!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had a wonderful dinner at Duke's! The macadamia crusted halibut was one of the best I've ever had. The fish and chips isn't bad either. The service was outstanding, as well as the view. I recommend this place for a special evening out with friends!

1  Thank RoxieRK
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

The down to earth staff made us fall in love with this place. Their chowder is better then anything I have ever tasted! It is even better then chowder I tried when we visited Alaska. Their cocktails are also something to write home about. We have never been let down by their servers despite how busy they are- always very personable and helpful. My husband and I love to just sit at the bar and relax here. Such a gem!

Reviewed June 13, 2013

OK as most know, Duke's has very good seafood and great chowders but at dinner last night I discovered that for the last 3 weeks, they have chosen to remove diet cola (pepsi or coke) from their menu. They had an alternative flavored by monk fruit which tasted flat and terrible. There are no other options! I don't know what is in this alternative cola they serve and frankly don't trust drinking this stuff. Their website does not mention this change (still shows Pepsi products) so not sure what is going on but without a decent zero calorie beverage I will avoid them from now on.