“Best Halibut but hold the taters”

Duke's Chowder House
Reserve with OpenTable
Duke's Chowder House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 751 Restaurants in Tacoma
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Sierra Vista, Arizona
“Best Halibut but hold the taters”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is what I tweeted after I ate here: 'Dear Tacoma. Just ate the best Halibut I ever ate at Duke's Chowder House. Please send wheelbarrow. I need to get back to my hotel'

Here's what I told the bartender when she asked me how it tasted - 'I want to go in a corner and spend time with it alone.' She made me repeat it, then raised her eyebrows. "I've never heard that before," she said. "You must like it."

Duh.

But stop serving potatoes with the fish. Do rice or something, not potatoes. No one ate them, they just threw them away. IT's too heavy for the fish. If you're trying to fill up the plate, do something else.

I also had the Pernod Lobster Chowder. I had high hopes, and it tasted great, but it was one note--- flat I expected a Northwestern version of the Atlantic Seaboard She-crab Soup, but it wasn't as tasty or as complex. Still, I want to go back because there are so many great looking dishes there. And next time, I'll ask them to hold the taters.

But thanks Duke, for the Halibut.

• Visited August 2012

Washington State
“Save room for dessert :)”
Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Friendly servers, great seafood, and great drinks. Crab melt with lots of real crab meat. Try the tuna quesadilla appetizer! Tasty sourdough to start. Ask for a seat outside. Even if it's chilly, there are plenty of outdoor heaters.
Dessert choices include a personal marionberry pie a la mode, fresh chocolate chip cookies and ice cream, and Butterfinger pie.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
“Craving the cucumber mojito”
Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

I love the cucumber mojitos and the tuna wasabi quesadillas are divine. I recommend eating all of the apps on the menu because I have!

Beaverton, Oregon
“Seafood and a view!”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This was the first restaurant I went to when I moved to Tacoma. So delicious and wonderful view! The crab cakes, the chowder, the blackened salmon pasta, and the award winning grapefruit cocktail- all amazing. Will be back to further my way through the menu- but every visit will include at least a "dingy" of their award winning chowder. Sunset is a wonderful time to sit on the deck and if it gets chilly they'll turn on the heaters.

Gig Harbor, Washington, United States
“super yummy”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

we had heard some great things about dukes from friends and we were excited to try it out. we sat outside on the deck and had a great view of the sound. the service was fantastic. we each had a different chowder (i think they have about 1/2 doz on their menu) then i had the crab un-cakes and my husband had the fish tacos. de-lish! we were so full we passed on dessert. will definitely go there again.

Visited June 2012